ADVERTISEMENT

Advertising - a small rant

BILLYBarrou

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2020
@Neal McCready @Chase Parham I have a ton of respect for both of you. I’ve been listening to your podcasts since you started recording them, and while I don’t post all that much, I’ve been a lurker here and subscriber for just as long. I remember when the pods were supported by just a couple of advertisers and I have made it a point to always try to show my appreciation for the free content they make possible by supporting them. I stop at the Oxford Exxon and Krystal every time I’m in town. I‘ve shopped with Clark Ford and Grenada Nissan. I’ve been in touch with John Edwards and bought Prime Shrimp, recommended 7South, consumed way too many Cathead products. I listen to so many of your pods that the ad reads do get pretty repetitive, so much so that I could probably recite most of them… but I listen all the way through and honestly kind of appreciate them. Even Rippee’s reads, as bad as they are (looking at you, skybox), are mostly tolerable.

The new interruptive ads on the other hand are an absolute turn off. No, they aren’t going to make me stop listening entirely, but I’ve already found myself moving the pods down on my priority list. I’m glad you guys are getting some money from this deal - you deserve it. At the same time, I’d be really interested to know if there’s any impact from this deal on your listenership numbers. I hope your numbers don’t go down and that you thrive, but I also hope that if you do see a detrimental impact to those numbers, you have an opportunity to back away from that model.

I know the old adage that “there’s no such thing as bad publicity,” and I know that the whole world of internet/tv is about nothing but advertising $$, but I do wonder if a lot of the advertising that takes place actually has a detrimental impact on some of these companies. When I watch a game on ESPN+ and see the same 5-6 ads over and over again, it totally turns me off to those brands. The ads during the radio broadcasts of baseball games just piss me off at those companies. Over-saturation and over-exposure are a real thing. I know podcasts (not just yours) are free to listen to thanks to the brands that support them, and I’m all for supporting those brands when they are local or make sense to me. But the brands that oversaturate through these big ad networks… I question that model. I’ll never use Shopify or Indeed or Madison Reed or any of the mattress companies, etc. Not because I think any of them are bad products, but because they are constantly pounded into my ears to the point where I have a very negative impression of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News