ADVERTISEMENT

airport scanners and pat-down

THOTH

Red-Shirt Freshman
Dec 10, 2002
When I reflect on September 11 2001 and Mohamed Atta flying an airplane into the World Trade center, those airport scanners and pat-downs don't seem so bad in retrospect.
eek.gif
I understand that perhaps some might have had worse experiences than mine.

Two things here:

1. "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

2. Have you ever passed through Heathrow in London, mate?
laugh.gif

I understand where you are coming from concerning freedoms, but is an airport scanner really violating our freedom ? Obviously I don't consider TSA security a grave violation of my privacy. So far...
shy.gif
they haven't done anything to offend me.
The proper libertarian ideal is one can live their life the way they wish as long as they don't harm another. Unfortunately there are those who do wish us harm, so airport security is necessary and does not violate this creed ( live your life as long as you harm none).
I don't believe that we can be totally free and totally civilized at the same time. We must select a happy medium.
Not only have I traveled through Heathrow, I once flew Pan Am right after the Lockerbie bombing. Things were tight. The security staff went through everything that I checked or carried on. I even remember opening a bottle of aspirin for them...proving it was aspirin. No, I didn't object, considering what just occurred.
blackeye.gif

Originally posted by THOTH:
I understand where you are coming from concerning freedoms, but is an airport scanner really violating our freedom ? Obviously I don't consider TSA security a grave violation of my privacy. So far...
shy.gif
they haven't done anything to offend me.
The proper libertarian ideal is one can live their life the way they wish as long as they don't harm another. Unfortunately there are those who do wish us harm, so airport security is necessary and does not violate this creed ( live your life as long as you harm none).
I don't believe that we can be totally free and totally civilized at the same time. We must select a happy medium.
Not only have I traveled through Heathrow, I once flew Pan Am right after the Lockerbie bombing. Things were tight. The security staff went through everything that I checked or carried on. I even remember opening a bottle of aspirin for them...proving it was aspirin. No, I didn't object, considering what just occurred.
blackeye.gif

My only objection to TSA is that most seem to be refugees from rent a cop security firms or failures from law enforcement academies, however that is not much different than being subjected to cashiers at Wally World

"... refugees from rent a cop security firms or failures from law enforcement academies, "
The ones that I know seem competent to me.
This post was edited on 2/21 7:52 PM by THOTH

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT