ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: An update on Kiffin/Auburn/etc.

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
I've finally reached a point where I feel comfortable with a certain amount of "reporting" as it pertains to Auburn's pursuit of Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin.

First, Kiffin is absolutely Auburn's primary target -- though I think Auburn reached out to gauge the temperature on Oregon's Dan Lanning last week -- at this point and new AU AD John Cohen wants to move fast. There are rumors Kiffin has an offer and has been given an ultimatum/deadline to make a response. I think those rumors are basically false. That said, Auburn wants to move fast and I strongly suspect Kiffin -- via intermediaries -- knows this. However, the idea that Kiffin has an offer in hand and has 24-48 hours to give an answer is borderline ludicrous. Will he have an offer if he lets it be known he wants one? Yes. Would Auburn take a commitment and TRY to keep it quiet until after the Egg Bowl? Sure. (Good luck on that second one, by the way)

One source said last night Kiffin was going "back and forth" regarding a decision between Auburn and Ole Miss. That source said today he believed Kiffin would ultimately remain at Ole Miss, a sentiment a couple of other sources with knowledge of the situation agreed with. Kiffin, everyone agrees, covets the Alabama job, and he knows that dream goes poof if he takes the Auburn gig. Also, Kiffin wants another shot at the NFL, so leaving Ole Miss for Auburn doesn't do a lot to change that calculus.

Now, Ole Miss is going to have to step up to the plate financially -- both in terms of salary and NIL -- and make that commitment public. Without those promises, this could go the other way quickly. However, I expect Ole Miss will do all it can do to make that part of his demands satisfied.

There are other factors involved and everyone said something along the lines of, "Hey, this thing could change at any minute," but that's the general sentiment.

However, one source indicated he wouldn't be shocked at some sort of an announcement out of Oxford regarding Kiffin and Ole Miss reaching a new deal as early as this week. I have zero independent confirmation of that, but it would make sense if most of the above plays out as accurate.

By the way, and I'm certainly not covering Auburn, but I was told if it's not Kiffin there, the next guy in line is Hugh Freeze. The former Ole Miss coach, now at Liberty, of course, would take the job, per a source.

That's all I have. I'm not ruling out Lane Kiffin to Auburn. Not at all. I continue to believe it could absolutely happen. I'd bet against it, but regardless, it's a real threat. That said, some of the breathless speculation about an imminent announcement along those terms appears to be incorrect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News