ADVERTISEMENT

Arnett

Desoto Blue

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2012
I'm gonna post Steve's message from last night. He had been hinting at a type of "Hearing..." post. If you don't want to hear about or don't care, move on to the next post. No offense taken. Some will be interested because it is a fairly talked about topic on our side. In short, doesn't sound like an imminent coaching change.

Steve Robertson avatar
Steve RobertsonSTAFF
Posted on 12 hrs, V I P, User Since 265 months ago, User Post Count: 112001
  • 12 hrsVIP
  • 265 months
On Sunday, I got a couple of calls about the Mississippi State football program. While those folks didn't have a lot of information to share, their questions were similar. It wouldn't ordinarily concern me, but these two people don't really associate much together. I've learned to never take anything for granted, especially when multiple sources have some level of commonality. As a result of those calls, I did some digging.
I spoke to a couple of friends in the agent world who tell me that there has been zero conversation about Mississippi State making a change this season other than just the normal speculation this time of year. Agents are gearing up for the silly season and doing their due diligence. Both parties I spoke to said that there would be some serious interest in the Mississippi State job should it come open, but so far they haven't heard anything that suggests change is coming this year. One of them said it's simply premature to think along those lines with a month to go in the season and that he had heard nothing about State having any feelers out at this point.
With that information in hand, I reached out to some sources on the Mississippi State side who backed up what I was told earlier. I was told that anyone suggesting that State had made a decision about moving towards a change was not getting that information from campus. One person shared that it hadn't even been discussed. Yes, there are some concerns about the season, but there is still a month to go and anything can happen in four weeks of football. One contact said that they still have a tremendous amount of confidence in the current staff and that they remain confident that nothing happens this year. I believe that is likely true unless there is a total collapse in November.
I was also informed that there is also the possibility that State has to make multiple hires in other major sports this year for people leaving for one reason or another. Some may leave and some may get left. I am not going to speculate about all of that, but you keep up with Mississippi State sports. You know some of the possibilities. I think the potential comings and goings are something to consider for a lot of reasons.
I had two people today share that they have a lot of confidence in Zac Selmon to make a good football hire when that time comes whenever it comes. Zac is from a football family and played Power Five football himself. He has contacts. He has friends, former teammates and opponents in the college coaching profession. He knows people and people know him. Zac also understands college football from the insider's point of view, so he understands how the game is managed and played. He understands the demands of it all. It is not something he is going to discount or make emotional decisions about. The central point in that is he won't make a reactionary decision. It will be well thought out on all fronts.
What I believe to be true is that there is not a movement towards a coaching change at this point. That may change depending on the outcome of the season, but I don't believe the conversation is really even entertained without a losing record in the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News