ADVERTISEMENT

At what stage is it fair to discuss Keith Carter???

wallstreetrebel

Starting Ole Miss Quarterback
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
I realize he was a great Ole Miss Rebel and he’s certainly a nice guy and everything, but we are currently paying $12 million to two coaches who are vastly overpaid based on their performances to date-not to mention the $1 million plus he is paying himself. He appears to be clearly over his head when negotiating with Dickie Sexton, does he just ask him how much he wants and bend over or what? Keith Carter versus Dickie Sexton seems a little like the Christians versus the Lions in the Roman Coliseum-and we clearly aren’t the Lions.

I am by no means characterizing Lane’s tenure at Ole Miss as a failure. And, frankly. I don’t blame or credit KC for hiring Lane, I think that was more done by Boyce, who also hired KC. But usually coaches don’t get enormous raises for Lane’s job performance this year, especially last night. Honestly, going for a fourth and three inside your own ten in the first half of a still close game is ridiculous, I don’t care what the analytics say-and I cannot imagine they say to go there. The fact that we made that one does not make it any less absurd, as those gambles failed to pay off numerous times last night leaving TT with short fields. I just feel like we had no chance to win that game last night the way Lane managed it.

Losing 5 of 6 while flirting with Auburn should not merit a $2 million raise or a top 10 salary nationally. The contact we gave Lane now puts us into a very similar situation to Mel Tucker and Michigan State. Now maybe Keith should get a pass for that one, he was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t, we were Sextoned.

But let’s forget football, Kermit’s contract borders on the absurd, why do you pay a coach in his 60s $3 million plus a year (about $14 million to date), when he has never succeeded at this level and when his own alma mater passed on him twice? He was only making $800k his last year at MTSU, did Keith actually think he was a threat to leave? How does anyone here justify the state of our basketball program and why we have a contract with Kermit, which reportedly kept us from firing him last year? Does basketball just not matter? And why do we continue to roll over coaches in minor sports who run programs into the ground, shouldn’t we try to win in everything, especially in those sports where we have a history of doing so?

I am just not sure if KC is running the Athletic Dept or if the Athletic Dept is running him. Thankfully, it’s just a couple of months until baseball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.