ADVERTISEMENT

Been Going to Knoxville and UT for years, here are my thoughts

TNReb91

Two-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2011
I went to grad school there and currently have a daughter at UT so here are a few thoughts for the weekend:

If you plan to go on game day and are coming from the south or west, give yourself an extra hour to account for interstate traffic. UT is on the east side of the city and getting from West Knox to campus on interstate is further than you think.

Market Square in downtown is the best place to go for meals. Lots of variety and can walk to campus from there although it is a hike. I have eaten at Tupelo Honey, Not Watsons, Stock & Barrel and Cafe 4 and all are pretty good. Daughter said Soccer Taco is good as well for cheap Mexican.

Old City is an area downtown that has lots of bars/restaurants and might be worth checking out. It is a little further out than Market Square but may not be as crowded.

There is downtown parking but it is a couple mile walk to campus. There is also some parking north of Cumberland Ave which is adjacent to campus. Look for Western Avenue/17th Avenue exit off of I-40.

There are bars and fast food restaurants on The Strip adjacent to the school but I think they are dumps. Sunspot has decent burgers.

Tailgating is very meh but it is mostly done at the center of campus near The Torchbearer.

Cool Beans is a bar behind The Strip that is popular with the college kids.

There is a Graduate hotel right by the school which has Peyton Manning's grill/bar. Called Saloon 16.

The students have circled this as their game of the year. Should be lots of Greek parties if you are of that age.

Concessions and restrooms at Neyland Stadium are equivalent to ours....not good and needs updating.

PUBLIC PARKING OPTIONS​

Note: East TN Children’s Hospital sells parking as a fundraiser for their Volunteer Services programs. Ft. Sanders Hospital reserves parking for employees and hospital visitors only.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News