Biofire’s Smart Gun

JediRebel

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2012
Kentucky Lake Tennessee

From Kim Komando.com​

An interesting backstory​

Kai Kloepfer was a high school student in 2012 when 24-year-old James Holmes walked into an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater. Holmes killed 12 and injured 70 more.

Kloepfer, now 26, is about to ship a smart gun. PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel’s fellowship program awarded Kloepfer $100,000 for dropping out of school to start his company. That company, Biofire, has raised $30 million to date.

How it works​

Biofire’s smart gun comes with a dock equipped with a touchscreen that pairs your face and fingerprint to the gun. Biometric data captured is stored only on the gun.

Once the system detects an approved user’s fingerprint or face (whichever comes first), it quickly unlocks and can be fired like a regular handgun. Up to five people can be registered per gun.

The gun packs infrared biometric sensors, laser sights and an electronic interface. It’s powered by a lithium-ion battery — charges in an hour and lasts months on a full charge.

The smart gun’s barrel is twice the size of a regular handgun. The pistol is 9mm, striker-fired and feeds from 10- or 15-round magazines.

You can watch a video of the gun here on my site. It’s $1,499 and ships before July.

My take​

I have a ton of questions. A smart gun has to be field-proven. How reliable is it? Can a criminal deactivate it? Is it hacker-proof? Are all states on board? I’m interviewing Kloepfer soon on my show — have any burning questions you’d like me to ask him? Send them to me here!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News