ADVERTISEMENT

Closing the loop on car buying stupidity.

DoreREB

Red-Shirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2005
Original thread here: Thread 'Best value for money vehicle buy'

Long story short, this market is ****ed.

I ran the gamut trying to psychologically balance msrp is fine with the added effed idea of real scarcity. Most lots in NJ are empty, especially after flooding. Lost inventory and newly purchased cars in for Service.

Going through the buyers formula, I decided the CX5 was where the value for money was. Until I got the price per month and a quote from my insurance guy. ****ing crazy. CX5 GTR with insurance was nearly $900/month with no down payment.

I told the Mazda dude he was nuts and I could drive a 22 Volvo XC60 for less than 100 more. And he said he didn’t doubt it, nothing he could do, go get the Volvo. So I did.

So now I’m the proud subscriber to a 2022 xc60 b6 inscription with advance and climate package. Somehow the depreciation and taxes on That version make the lease payment sweeter. And having been a Manhattan refugee, I get to apply my insurance to car due to group risk rating rather than only me/my Wife.

Tl;dr: I woke up and tried to buy a Mazda CX-5, ended up with a damn near loaded out supercharged Volvo XC60 for $100 more per month.

My intent is just ride out this madness as cheaply as possible without being locked in. So I highly recommend the Volvo Care subscription in this environment. My car was delivered last night. I bought it today by midday. Can’t pick it up until mid next week because they require advance 1 hr rez blocks.

There is value to me in knowing my downside cap. I can give it back in 5 Mos.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you want a car now and don’t know if you want it for3-5 years the Volvo subscription is great. And ask for all the prices on engines and trims, regardless of base.

The depreciation they charge and subsequent taxes can vary wildly. Got a 63k car for $100 more a month than a $50k car. And most of the difference was taxes.

Thanks for the input, my fellows.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News