ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Nutt and Recruiting

Dec 6, 2004
What do you think about coming off of a 9-4 season and we can only pick up 3 guys in the Mississippi top 30. What do you guys think? I know stars does not mean anything but as of today everyone else in the SEC, except for Vanderbilt, has a better recruiting class so far. Let me know what you guys think?

I for one am really disappointed. I'm not star gazing, but it will reflect a few years down. This isn't as bad as Cutcliff's era, but even Duke has a recruiting class as good as ours this year! Guys, we are pre-season ranked #5 in SI and have only two 4*? We need to hire a recruiter to make this staff complete!

I think it is hysterical, the lengths you are

going to bigsecfan. And now talking to yourself under two nicknames in this thread...

Priceless.

Most recruiting experts say that a good season doesn't usually have much impact in recruiting until the next year. I would bet Ole Miss's 2010 looks a lot better than their current one.

This one isn't looking too bad especially after the final pieces fall in place on Wednesday.

Not too surprising when you realize how recruitng works. The benefits of a good season follows a class later. Starting Feb, '09 Ole Miss will be able to pump sunshine to 2010 recruits about the 2008 season. This goes on all year. They could not exactly jump up and down and wave the flag abut the 2007 season while the recruits were deciding.

By the time Ole Miss finished with the Bowl win and the good season all the top people had committed. Even MSU had an advantage for their record the in 2007. The new coach basically salvaged the class already recruited by Croom based on their 2007 season.

To convince yourself look at the LSU 2008 Class and 2009 class. While the 2008 Class was pretty good the payoff came in 2009 for the 2007 season. LSU was able to recruit this great class waving the 2007 NC flag all year. They did not win the 2007 NC for it to be very useful recruiting for the 2008 Class.

The 2010 Class should be the quality class for Ole Miss.

Originally posted by BamaTheTide:
Most recruiting experts say that a good season doesn't usually have much impact in recruiting until the next year. I would bet Ole Miss's 2010 looks a lot better than their current one.

You ae correct. The good class the second class following the good season. The reason for this is that it is almost too late after the good season to affect any recruits by NSD. Most have already made up their minds. But praises for Ole Miss's good season in 2008 can start immediately and last all year long for the 2010 Class. They can pump sunshine to recruits all year after the good season got their attention. Most recruits have their minds made up by the opening day of the next season and even a poor season by Ole Miss will not change most of their mind.

What generally happens is that the good season captured the attention of the HS players and their coaches with the result of their attending an Ole Miss summer camp. If the player was very interested before the summer camp the coaches are in a great position to close the deal even though the player may not commit right away. Once the kid has made up his mind 90% if the coaches keep a good contact & relationship with him they have him even if the following season is mediocre.

The way a good recruiting dynasty is created is having a number of good seasons in a row and he coaches working their butts off.

I think Nutt and his assistants did agreat job!
Originally posted by johnbl23:
What do you think about coming off of a 9-4 season and we can only pick up 3 guys in the Mississippi top 30. What do you guys think? I know stars does not mean anything but as of today everyone else in the SEC, except for Vanderbilt, has a better recruiting class so far. Let me know what you guys think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT