ADVERTISEMENT

First Timer Visiting The Grove vs Mercer

Aug 28, 2023
Heading down to Oxford to catch a game for the first time this weekend (daughter is freshman).

What are some key points for a newbie related to The Grove & Ole Miss gameday?

Looks like a solo cup is a must.

~BLRMKRdave

Drinks in opaque containers. Don't try and just bring a case of beer in under your arms, they will make you pour it out and we will all laugh at you.

Collared shirts are typically the male attire.

Walk of champions is typically about 2 hours and 15 minutes before kick. The Bands grove show is somewhere around that time as well.

I'm sure your daughter will have plenty of tents to bring you to.

Be prepared for it to be blazing hot in the stadium.

If you don't have a parking pass you won't be allowed to drive on campus. Traffic after games is a nightmare.

Canon fire after Rebel touchdowns and Glen Waddle with a rousing "First Down, OOOOOLE MISS" after Ole Miss first downs.

You'll find a few good resources at the following link:

Closer to game day there will even be a gameday program on there.

This year, it looks like they are allowing you to bring in an empty water bottle to be refilled in the stadium. I'd have the daughter have a bag (the required clear bag) and put the water bottles in there.

-----

Here's a basic run down of what my daughter and I normally do when we come in from out of town.

Based on an early afternoon game.

• Drive in and park at SOC (https://olemissgameday.com/football#parking-shuttles).
  • Take shuttle in and walk to the grove in time for the walk of champions.
  • Experience Grove then Walk of Champions.
  • Watch the band play (usually 30-45 minutes after walk of champions).
  • Go in the Student Union and have lunch. (walk through the bookstore and look at gear as well)
  • Walk over to the stadium. (there will be photo ops posted closer to gametime at https://olemissgameday.com/football#gameday-selfie-spots)
  • Grab the shuttle back when done with the Grove and/or game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLRMKRdave
You'll find a few good resources at the following link:

Closer to game day there will even be a gameday program on there.

This year, it looks like they are allowing you to bring in an empty water bottle to be refilled in the stadium. I'd have the daughter have a bag (the required clear bag) and put the water bottles in there.

-----

Here's a basic run down of what my daughter and I normally do when we come in from out of town.

Based on an early afternoon game.

• Drive in and park at SOC (https://olemissgameday.com/football#parking-shuttles).
  • Take shuttle in and walk to the grove in time for the walk of champions.
  • Experience Grove then Walk of Champions.
  • Watch the band play (usually 30-45 minutes after walk of champions).
  • Go in the Student Union and have lunch. (walk through the bookstore and look at gear as well)
  • Walk over to the stadium. (there will be photo ops posted closer to gametime at https://olemissgameday.com/football#gameday-selfie-spots)
  • Grab the shuttle back when done with the Grove and/or game.
I’ll add to this that you might have to have parking paid for on an app. It was the “Clutch” app last year. As someone said earlier if you want a beer it needs to be brought in a cooler and drank out of a solo cup or other opaque vessel. I’d suggest a cooler with wheels because you can end up walking quite a bit. If your daughter is in Greek life or some other student organization she will likely have a tent to go to and be a “base” of sorts. If you come more regularly it can be fun to get a group of her friends’ parents and go into a tent setup together so that you’re not constantly around college kids.

If you’ve never been to the grove it can be overwhelming the first few times because there’s a different feel than other college tailgates. Personal space is more of a suggestion than a rule. It’s kind of like a drunken garden party more than a tailgate.

Also, and this was strange to me, but every time I’ve ever gone we just left our coolers and stuff at the tent during the game unattended and no one ever messed with it. However throwing a pad lock on your cooler will make sure no one gets in there during the game if you’re worried about that.

I grew up a Georgia fan and married into an Auburn family so when I went to Ole Miss for law school the tailgating in the grove was a completely foreign concept to me but grew to love it after 1-2 games.

Put a Bud Light sticker on your cooler and no on will touch it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT