ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Friday, March 25 Transfer Portal/Recruiting Chiks, presented by Oxford Krystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
In case today gets weird, I'm starting a thread.

There's an Arch Manning update from Adam Gorney. It's on the board. It's being discussed. I'll touch on it momentarily.

There's some basketball talk as well. Here's the update on Devan and Desmond Cambridge:

Per a source close to the players, Ole Miss has emerged as a leading candidate -- along with Arizona State -- for Nevada transfer portal guard Desmond Cambridge Jr. and his brother, Auburn transfer portal guard Devan Cambridge. The boys want to play together. Vanderbilt, where their sister plays, could also be a factor, but there are some issues the Commodores might have a difficult time overcoming. The boys grew up in Nashville.
Desmond Cambridge Jr., a 6-foot-4, 180-pounder, averaged 16.2 points and 5.1 rebounds last season for Nevada. He shot 43 percent from the floor and 37 percent from behind the 3-point arc.
Devan Cambridge, a 6-foot-6, 215-pounder, averaged 5.3 points and 3.6 rebounds per game for Auburn. He shot 40.2 percent from the floor and just 22 percent from the 3-point line.

As I mentioned yesterday in the War Room, there is mutual interest between Ole Miss and Jackson State transfer portal forward Jayveous McGinnis. He's a very good defender but there's concern among some about the jump -- hell, it's a quantum leap -- from the SWAC to the SEC.

There have been rumblings regarding both Matthew Murrell and Jarkel Joiner transferring. I'm hearing there are family members who really don't want Joiner to transfer, and I believe he'll return to Ole Miss next season. That's not finalized, I don't believe, but it's what I expect. As for Murrell, despite plenty of opportunities for him to bolt, if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, I expect him to return to Ole Miss for the 2022-23 season. I guess that could change, but as of now, I believe he likely returns.

Bottom line: There is a lot of roster flux at this point, so we'll see.

Back to Manning. As of now, I'd bet on Texas, Georgia or Alabama, but I keep hearing this decision could get pushed back a lot. There are questions at all of these programs, Ole Miss included. Can Steve Sarkisian get the Longhorns moving in a positive direction? Might Nick Saban retire if Alabama wins a national title with Bryce Young under center for his last season in Tuscaloosa? Is the Georgia offense going to be the best place to develop as a future NFL quarterback? What does Ole Miss' offense look like with someone not named Matt Corral under center? Will there be more Lane Kiffin rumors, whether it be on the college level (Auburn) or the NFL? As Gorney points out in his piece, there had been talk of a spring '22 decision for a long time. That talk has died down considerably.

As for other Ole Miss quarterback targets, I think there are three. Marcel Reed will visit Ole Miss this weekend, per sources. Chris Vizzina visited Ole Miss earlier this month. Jaden Rashada will visit, in all likelihood, this summer. All are targets Ole Miss would take. Rashada, contrary to reports, does not appear close to a decision by the way. Vizzina, I believe, is waiting to see what happens with Manning, as there's some crossover in their recruiting. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to visit briefly with Reed tomorrow. Ole Miss wants Manning and believes it would do the best job developing him, but I don't sense tremendous confidence regarding the Rebels' chances. This is JUST MY OPINION, but I get a sense Vizzina is the guy the Rebels would love to land. He's visited Ohio State and Auburn since his trip to Ole Miss. He said earlier this month he's hoping to make a decision by the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News