ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Ole Miss for the first time - places to stay?

Aug 13, 2023
Hi Ole Miss fans,

I am heading to Ole Miss for the first time. The Grove has been on my bucket list, and I wanted to see it in person. I’m a huge Rutgers fan, but I go to one out of conference game every year.

I’m flying into Memphis, and I’m looking for recommendations about places to stay between Memphis and Oxford. The number one criteria is cleanliness and safety of the location. Can you give me some recommendations?

Thanks!

Scarlet Jerry

Looking to go for the Vandy game, with two other people. We want to be on campus for any pregame events the night before. Not sure if there are events after the game or if there are any “must see” places on campus or in Oxford.

Several notes from me, and I'll cross reference this post on the Grove forum, since many go straight to that board:

1) I would suggest staying in Oxford, rather than staying between Memphis and Oxford. Being in town is a completely different experience than commuting-in from Memphis, Southaven, Tunica, Batesville, Holly Springs, or Abbeville.

2) I live out of state. When I travel to games, I use VRBO or AirBnb. As you've probably figured-out, the Oxford hotels are likely booked. Another option - Moonlight and Magnolias is a low-key bed & breakfast, in a quiet neighborhood a few miles from campus. It likely isn't full for the Vanderbilt weekend yet. Don't expect 5-star lodging, but it is perfectly fine for a football weekend (and very clean and safe).

3) Book dinner reservations for Friday night, somewhere on the Oxford square, NOW.

4) Find a welcoming Ole Miss fan that will invite you to their grove tent, and come early. Our grove crowd is usually eager to welcome in first timers.

5) Consider doing a Rowan Oak tour, if you are at-all interested in Faulkner. https://www.rowanoak.com/

6) It's Vanderbilt, so there is a risk of an 11:15 kickoff. Pray for the SECN or ESPN2 night slot, instead. Even if it is an early game, get to the Grove several hours before kickoff and plan on coming back after the game.

7) Parking is not easy, without a parking pass - you will likely need to park off campus and shuttle or walk over. Rather than shuttling, it may be a good idea to park at one of the residences directly across from the Campus entrances on Jackson Avenue (either at Sorority Row / Washington Ave. or at College Hill Rd). They'll "rent" yard spots for $20 or so, and it's worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Jerry
Hi Ole Miss fans,

I am heading to Ole Miss for the first time. The Grove has been on my bucket list, and I wanted to see it in person. I’m a huge Rutgers fan, but I go to one out of conference game every year.

I’m flying into Memphis, and I’m looking for recommendations about places to stay between Memphis and Oxford. The number one criteria is cleanliness and safety of the location. Can you give me some recommendations?

Thanks!

Scarlet Jerry
Stay near Graceland in Memphis, you'll love it.

Several notes from me, and I'll cross reference this post on the Grove forum, since many go straight to that board:

1) I would suggest staying in Oxford, rather than staying between Memphis and Oxford. Being in town is a completely different experience than commuting-in from Memphis, Southaven, Tunica, Batesville, Holly Springs, or Abbeville.

2) I live out of state. When I travel to games, I use VRBO or AirBnb. As you've probably figured-out, the Oxford hotels are likely booked. Another option - Moonlight and Magnolias is a low-key bed & breakfast, in a quiet neighborhood a few miles from campus. It likely isn't full for the Vanderbilt weekend yet. Don't expect 5-star lodging, but it is perfectly fine for a football weekend (and very clean and safe).

3) Book dinner reservations for Friday night, somewhere on the Oxford square, NOW.

4) Find a welcoming Ole Miss fan that will invite you to their grove tent, and come early. Our grove crowd is usually eager to welcome in first timers.

5) Consider doing a Rowan Oak tour, if you are at-all interested in Faulkner. https://www.rowanoak.com/

6) It's Vanderbilt, so there is a risk of an 11:15 kickoff. Pray for the SECN or ESPN2 night slot, instead. Even if it is an early game, get to the Grove several hours before kickoff and plan on coming back after the game.

7) Parking is not easy, without a parking pass - you will likely need to park off campus and shuttle or walk over. Rather than shuttling, it may be a good idea to park at one of the residences directly across from the Campus entrances on Jackson Avenue (either at Sorority Row / Washington Ave. or at College Hill Rd). They'll "rent" yard spots for $20 or so, and it's worth it.
Thanks for this information - it’s very helpful! What time do you recommend for dinner on Friday night? I’m not sure what time the pregame evening events are taking place.

Yes, that’s what we are planning to do.
Careful - that post was probably sarcasm. Sure, visit Graceland. Then, drive south before taking any walking tours or stopping for the night.

The best time for dinner reservations is whatever time is available. There will be 110,000 people in a town with a population of 27,000, so keep that in mind. Outside of the usual homecoming stuff, there will not be much in the way of pregame events. Grab a table, get some good food and drink, then find a spot on the square and take in the scenery.

Careful - that post was probably sarcasm. Sure, visit Graceland. Then, drive south before taking any walking tours or stopping for the night.

The best time for dinner reservations is whatever time is available. There will be 110,000 people in a town with a population of 27,000, so keep that in mind. Outside of the usual homecoming stuff, there will not be much in the way of pregame events. Grab a table, get some good food and drink, then find a spot on the square and take in the scenery.
Seriously ~ I wanted to book a hotel in Memphis for our first night. Would you advise against that?

DO NOT GO NEAR GRACELAND AREA ESPECIALLY AFTER DARK.
GO DOWNTOWN STAY AT THE PEABODY WALK ACROSS THE ST AND EAT RIBS AT RENDEZVOUS. NO BEALE ST EITHER.

Stay in Oxford if at all possible. The Square Friday and Sat nights will be packed and you want to be able to hit the Grove Sat a.m. without dealing with traffic.

Thank you for all the info, I came here to ask the same question. A couple WVU fans coming down for the Arkansas game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT