ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Hearing regarding fall ball (Sunday update)

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Hearing this afternoon that as of now fans won’t be allowed to watch any Ole Miss baseball scrimmages or practices. It’s a surprising ruling to me because the Ole Miss return to campus rules had 25 percent capacity stipulations for stadiums/arenas, etc.

I’ve asked Keith for any clarification because I don’t know if it’s a school or league rule. He hasn’t responded yet.

There are never enough fans to be crowded at these things. Some attendance would be nice for fans, parents, media, etc.

SUNDAY UPDATE

I talked to Keith this morning. He's not aware of an SEC rule for this, as he said it's a decision they made as a university. I know Arkansas isn't allowing fans but I don't know about other places. I'll ask around.

Keith said while the 25 percent wouldn't be a problem, security, cleaning and staffing are the concerns for allowing attendance. He also said it's not just baseball and that if you allowed it there you'd have to allow it at all sports including basketball and soccer. That last part I don't really agree with because men's basketball isn't open to the general public anyway and it's indoors which is different but I think soccer would be manageable if people wanted to go.

It's a tough time for fans and throwing them a bone on something small like this would be good, but we do live in a pretty complicated time and I know they are trying to take as many precautions as possible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.