ADVERTISEMENT

I have to disagree with Neal about drafting players (Long)

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
I am a huge fan of the 10 thoughts column. It and the pods with Neal and Chase are the primary reasons I tolerate some of the posters and continue to subscribe. I find myself almost always shaking my head in agreement with Neal, as his views on most things align with mine. I do want to open up a discussion about his statement in #2 where he said, "College football, obviously, can't have a draft. Players, just like students, should be free to go where they'd like." If they were not receiving millions to play a game, I would agree with that statement. But they are not just like students, they are compensated for their talents just like professional athletes, so they should have a draft just like other professional sports in this new model. I have spoke about it several times in posts on this site. Maybe someone smarter than me will research my posts, but I know I have posted about said draft on at least 2 separate occasions. Here is how it could work:

1. Colleges are aligned with each of the 32 NFL teams. (ie, Ole Miss is aligned with the New York Giants). Each NFL team has 2 college teams. 32x2 = 64 teams in P5.

2. High school players are selected in a high school-specific draft. Maybe even have draft slots for how much money they will get based on where they are selected.

3. Each NFL team, in collaboration with their college affiliates, selects 10 players for each school in the high school draft. This would spread the talent around and give Saban the "parity" he spoke about. (Funny, he NEVER chirped about desiring parity when the deck was stacked in HIS favor). 10 X 64=640 players.

4. Players who are not drafted can then sign with any school they want as a "free agent". Compensation for these players is limited to a cap decided by the league and schools.

5. All players sign 1-year contracts, renewable by the player and the team at the end of each season. If a player wants to get into the portal at the end of the year, he is entered into a supplemental draft that is held separately from the high school draft.

6. If a player wants to go to the school of his choice... he wants to be a "student" as Neal said, he can forego the draft, but must sign a contract agreeing to not accept any compensation of any kind with the understanding that reception of any compensation results in immediate ineligibility and forfeiture of the right to be drafted by another team for 1 year. The school understands that compensating this type of player, no matter who does it, will result in the forfeiture of a first-round pick for 2 years. A player that makes this choice cannot enter the supplemental draft, (transfer portal) to receive compensation for 2 years. He gets the scholarship, room, and board, and that is it. Maybe add other stipulations to limit this loophole to stacking talent.

7. I am all for the players being compensated. It is long, long overdue. There has to be some order brought into it though, or we are about to witness the complete and total destruction of the game from within. Those are my off the top of my head thoughts. Share yours. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News