ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: I'm not sure I'd call this a War Room, but...

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
FULL LOGO.jpg

Our recruiting content is sponsored by A-1 Discount Tree and Lawn Service. For removal, trimming, stump grinding, demolition and land clearing, call A-1 at 601-981-4900 (tel:601-981-4900) or check out their website www.A1DiscountTree.com (http://www.a1discounttree.com/)

All eyes are on Athens, Ga., this weekend for Ole Miss, but, barring Alabama losses to Kentucky and Auburn and an Ole Miss sweep on Georgia and Mississippi State, the Rebels' regular season is over in 13 days.

In other words, most of the attention is about to shift to recruiting.

The following is not a comprehensive recap of what's left on the Rebels' board. Rather, it's an overview of sorts.

First, a couple of notes:
-- This is fluid, including commitments.
-- The extra Covid year is in play, potentially, for players all over the country, including Ole Miss. Cedric Johnson and JJ Pegues, for example, could elect to come back.
-- I'm assuming guys like Jaxson Dart and Quinshon Judkins return next season, but they'll likely require hefty NIL raises.
-- Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin is pushing hard behind the scenes, per sources, to get Caden Prieskorn and Jordan Watkins, and likely others, to return for another year before testing the NFL waters. In other words, figuring out roster spots and the like is close to impossible here on Nov. 10.

Quarterback: I don't believe the Rebels will take a high school quarterback in this class, though they could add from the transfer portal.

Running back: Former Nebraska commit Kewan Lacy is the top priority. Ole Miss and Florida lead, but Alabama looms. Unless Alabama pushes hard, Ole Miss is probably in good shape. Michigan State commitment Anthony Carrie is also in the mix. He's a Florida native who is close to Ole Miss running backs coach Kevin Smith. Ole Miss will likely only take one running back.

Wide receiver: Yes, Ole Miss wants Deion Smith. The Holmes (Miss.) Community College standout is ranked as the top junior college player in the country and he's been on Ole Miss' radar forever. However, academics remain an issue, and his eligibility isn't a sure thing, per sources. Miami commitment Chance Robinson enjoyed his visit last weekend and the Rebels have a very real shot with him. Starkville, Miss., standout Braylon Burnside recently de-committed from Mississippi State. It's likely down to Ole Miss and Texas A&M. LSU could also factor in, per sources. Burnside could end up on either side of the ball at the next level.

Tight end: All eyes are on Alabama commitment Caleb Odom. The four-star from Carrollton, Ga., has visited Ole Miss on consecutive weekends and the Rebels are trying hard to flip him. He's torn, per sources, by the allure of Alabama and the belief that Ole Miss is a better offensive fit. My sources believe it's a coin toss at this point.

Offensive line: Ole Miss is trying to flip Oklahoma commit/Fulton, Miss., product Isaiah Autry. He visited Ole Miss last weekend and Ole Miss is pursuing diligently. The Rebels are also looking to flip Louisiana native Kavion Broussard from Miami. They're in the mix for both players. The Rebels are also working on Mississippi State commitment Jimothy Lewis, though I'm not sure, based on sourcing, that he's as much of a priority as Autry and Broussard. He's likely more of a development project up front.

Defensive line: Ole Miss will have to work to fight off Alabama for William Echoles, but there is a strong confidence the Rebels will do just that. The Rebels are working to flip Little Rock four-star standout Charleston Collins from Arkansas, and there is industry speculation that the flip is imminent. Collins has not flipped this week, at least not publicly, and there is some speculation that he's waiting to see what happens in Fayetteville before making a decision. He's one to watch, for sure. Another one to watch is Kansas City, Mo., four-star Jayshawn Ross. His stock is exploding of late, and Alabama and Nebraska, among others, are involved, but Ole Miss is very much in it. The Rebels entertained junior college defensive lineman Antonio Alfano last weekend and support staff could be seen and heard yelling at him from the sideline thought the game. "If you were here, it wouldn't be this close right now," one staffer said during the fourth quarter. Alfano picked up a Georgia offer this week. His recruitment is impossible to forecast right now.

Linebacker: Ole Miss would love to flip Pinson, Ala., product D'Angelo Barber from Auburn, but it appears he'll stick with the Tigers. The Rebels continue to work Tupelo, Miss., product Tristan Jernigan, hoping he'll flip from Texas A&M. Alabama, it's worth noting, has similar hopes. That one is far from over. Ole Miss is also recruiting N.C. State commitment Joshua Ofor, though I'm not sure what the chances are there. The same holds for New Orleans native/Georgia Tech commitment Tah'j Butler and Ponchatoula, La., product/Arizona State commitment Albert Smith.

The only defensive secondary name I've heard a lot of buzz about recently is Holmes CC product Laquan Robinson. He was in Oxford last weekend and it appears to be an Ole Miss/Auburn battle for his signature. He is committed to Auburn.

Ole Miss is expected to hit the transfer portal pretty hard, though likely not to the extent it did during the last cycle. It's impossible, as I said at the top, to know how many spots are truly going to be available as of now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News