ADVERTISEMENT

Internet Service Provider Story

Bubba Cav

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2003
About a year ago I was paying for a 15MB download service. For a couple of months I continued to have download rates anywhere from 0.3MB to 0.8MB.

I finally got tired of it and called customer service. I went through all the instructions the "tech" read from his cue card and nothing worked. (I didn't waste my time arguing with the "tech" that I had already done all of the steps and we could by-pass all the elementary possibilities. I'm kinda the network admin at work.) The tech put me on hold a while and finally came back and apologized and explained that the ISP had over sold its residential capabilities and there wasn't really anything he could do. I offered to up my service to a business account - an additional $20 a month. The account at work was not having any issues with the same ISP. He said he couldn't sell me a business account. (I also asked for credit against my account for the months where my service wasn't right. I had a list - who'd a thunk I'd had a list (s) - of all my daily test speeds going back for over a year. They would not give me credit.) Finally he said he would send someone out to my house.

A couple of days later the service guy comes to the house to see if he could help. Of course I had my iPhone speed test app on constantly checking the transfer rates. All the while I was questioning what he was doing. He said he was just checking my transfer rate. So while he was checking my speed with his gadget my speed began to miraculously increase. Each time I checked, it climbed. Finally when it got to 13.8MB he says, "Well, I don't see any issues." I agreed that the transfer rate was adequate and was within an acceptable range.

He left and I was satisfied.......

HOWEVER, each month since then, my transfer rate has gotten slower and slower and slower. I'm now back to the ridiculous download speeds that prompted my initial dissatisfaction.

Because of the location of my home, I have no other viable choice for ISPs. (DirecTv is not viable in my opinion.)

Is there a governing body (Better Business Bureau, Public Service Commission, etc.) who I can contact who may be able "nudge" my ISP for better service? Or do ISPs even have a "governing" body?

Sorry so long-winded.

This post was edited on 3/6 4:24 PM by Bubba Cav

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.