ADVERTISEMENT

Jones - A Different Perspective

JRVReb

Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
If hearing a differing opinion creates an undeniable, unstoppable force over you that triggers personal attacks, do yourself a favor and stop reading.

First, the IHL should be disbanded. There are inherent conflicts of interest in its governance structure. You don't see Auburn and Alabama with the same governing board. There is a reason for that. Efforts should be made to change this ineffective structure.

That being said, the same ineffective IHL governance structure that hired Dan Jones as Chancellor six years ago still exists today. Notwithstanding the IHL flawed structure, Chancellor Jones underestimated the need to nurture the relationships with IHL trustees - his bosses.

Figuring out how to work effectively with people in power is essential for success in every business and certainly in the role as Chancellor of our University. Being astute enough to identify key stakeholders and having the business acumen to nurture those relationships are prerequisites for long-term success for the Chancellor/President of every MS four-year college. This is a fact. This is where Dan fell short.

Standing up for your beliefs, getting what you want and not alienating people in the process is not asking too much for our University's Chancellor. And I am not just talking about IHL. This includes relationships with elected state and federal political officials and prominent state business leaders, to name a few.

I admire Chancellor Jones for the passion in his beliefs and convictions. Unfortunately that same passion - his greatest asset - also was his biggest liability - resulting in the perception of stubbornness and insubordination by his bosses. Executives in the corporate world get fired for less every day.

Does that warrant termination here? On the surface, it doesn't given all of our positive momentum and the many achievements under his leadership. However I won't form an opinion until all of the information comes out. And I do believe the information will come out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.