ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Full practice today, putting all situations into one because it’s basically our only full day of practice. Challenging is what it is, very good opponent, hard place to play. Very loud. Full place that makes it a challenge on your offense to have to play in a place like that in the SEC. Best passing offense in the country and a good rushing defense. They are multiple and have long, strong players on defense. Have done a phenomenal job recruiting, too.

Amazing and goes against what you’d think with Leach’s offense. The thought was there even with coaches that the SEC had figured it out and slowed it down and now obviously that’s not the case. They are back to where they were in that LSU game last year. It’s amazing to be so simple in what you’d do and it keeps working. The QB plays well and receivers are now making plays. They seem to start slow sometimes, but have these unbelievable comebacks. Another one against Auburn.

We’ll talk about not doing stupid penalties. Control emotions. We’ll do it close to the game when it’s fresh in mind. Not be the team that makes those mistakes.

I would have liked to stay here and travel game day since we win when we stay in that hotel. But it’s too far. We’ll do a lot here Friday and then sleep in Tupelo and go to the game.

Staff went through the Vandy game early Sunday. Players went through it a little quicker than normal. And while there’s zero carryover from Vandy to State schematically, you still have to grade effort and execution.

I don’t think I know the toxicity of the rivalry. I heard about it from time to time with the recruiting issue with the kid and all that, but Leach and I don’t make sense to be here since we get along, but maybe we were brought here to bring a state together or something. It is football, you know, you shouldn’t hate people because they went to a certain school. I like him. He’s funny and does a great job. It’s amazing you can not evolve. Usually when that happens you get fired and get passed by and we’re not huddling around I-formation football, but he came up with something that keeps working.

I don’t know about what to expect with visitor travel. We didn’t travel to our own game last week, so maybe the travel will be better for a road game.

We did use wet balls today with the skill players. We’ve played pretty well in cold or wet weather these two years. If you throw the ball 70 times, you don’t want it to rain, so maybe it’s in our favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News