ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Good day out there and got through the film and move on to Vandy. Play in front of home crowd which we’ll need. Home crowds are important. False starts and whatnot You saw it last week. Our crowds have been great this year, they impact games. Good kickoff time. Great weather. Hopefully show up like we ask our players to do.

Tre is a longer body and does a good job blocking in the slot. Those guys had really good physical DBs. That’s a good secondary especially with 0 back. He’s elite. We did some things to move the ball.

Third downs have been like this for whatever reason. Combination — missed blocks and protection. We’ll never be tops in third downs because we know we’re going on fourth and it affects how we call plays, but we didn’t execute and beat man to man. We didn’t make accurate throws and put it all together.

You see how this team is with adversity. In camp it’s all easy and things go well. You see it when things are tough — losing to Alabama and how we react and also down in games and when things don’t go your way. When guys don’t get the snaps they want. That’s why the team has been different. We’ve seen it.

Harris will be back this week. It was medical. He wasn’t cleared to play.

We need to play a complete game. Defensively we have gotten a lot of guys involved but offensively we have backtracked on that. We need more guys involved and playing well. We play too many plays for some guys on offense right now.

We do tempo with what’s necessary to win that particular game. We were more conservative with calls. Look at our run-pass split. We ran more compared to some earlier games. Earlier in my career I’d just do what I did. Now it’s about that particular more game now.

I don’t know this for other conferences but the home-road in the SEC is huge. There are such hard places to play here. AU was electric even having a down year and we had major cadence issues. Didn’t help some fan had a whistle behind our bench. Tempo offense helps on the road in loud places versus huddle and cadence. Now with 3 and outs it works against you. It’s why I encourage our fans. Be the same as LSU and Arkansas. We’re hoping for that.

We knew Perkins was really special but I don’t know if we knew he was this electric fast. He has caught two of the fastest QBs in America. He’s really special and a phenomenal kid. He’s great for culture. Just wants to get better. Not worried about the other extra stuff off field. That’s refreshing.

We evaluate character a lot with the portal. It’s important to bring it in. You can’t change everybody. I call it the Patriot Way. Free agents and how they work with your culture. It moves up level of importance. Obviously play making ability too. If you only take a couple, it’s less of a deal but this amount of the portal you have to really do it.

There was no plan or intention when we got Juice to make him part of the program. I don’t even know what all he does. I don’t know where he goes. He goes to grand openings and have a schedule. I don’t know what he does half the time. And sometimes when he tweets I don’t have to take responsibility for what he says.

Cedric Johnson is great for the other players. He’s a culture guy. So proud of him.

We’ll point out upsets around the country. It’s about us as much as anything. Vandy was beating us at halftime.

The crowd has felt a lot better here for conference games and crowd. Teams have had issues because of the crowd. Not just show up but be electric. There were some disappointing crowds in previous years, just like some games crowds are disappointed in me. I remember Vandy Matt’s last year. It wasn’t electric. This year has been different and been great.

We’ve stopped the run in these wins this year and not gotten discouraged on the sidelines. I’m very pleased with this team as far as attitude and how hard they play. We just have to do some things better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News