ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC Quick Hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Great opportunity to get back on track this week. It’s a tough place to play and really good South Carolina team and they are one play to be undefeated. It’s a huge challenge for us.

We have two really good tight ends and sometimes things happen not by design. Last week they did a good job of matching tight ends and how we use them. I would love for there to be lots of balls to the tight ends and everyone but doesn’t work that way. We were 1-for-10 on third down and when we lose people say this guy needs the ball or this guy needs the ball but where is it coming from? Things just work out certain ways based off the opponent.

Very different fronts compared to UK and schemes too. Carolina is active and athletic and UK was very big bodies. It’s just far different to what we are looking at.

Coach Stoops is paid a lot of money to do it and has iPads, too. They are good coaches. First series we rolled but we have to do a better job ourselves.

Carolina has good weapons and returns talent. QB can be a runner so have to focus everywhere and really do our jobs.

We usually don’t talk about playoffs or championship because it’s outcome based. I said just because you get outside noise and those questions, everything we want to do is still there. Lot of people get in with two losses even. Stick to process and do the job.

It’s like basketball where you have 5 guys who can shoot and you ride the guy who is hot and is shooting. You ride the guy who shoots. You don’t not pass it to Michael Jordan. We didn’t get in rhythm. I know everyone wants the ball but who do you take it from? Do you want Tre to only get five touches? I get it’s easy to say not enough guys touched it but they have to come from somewhere.

We may be getting more guys in the interior healthy. We had multiple injuires and just struggled to get completely healthy there. But we may be able to work more in there.

I’m not saying we don’t have to be better. I’m saying that’s a defense that will give people problems. I know we have to be better. No doubt.

We have to be better with penalties and have the confidence to be better in the back end. Very critical plays we got hit on those. Third down conversation by penalty doesn’t count in the stats. So we gave them even more than that stats say and the yards with it. It’s like turnovers because they aren’t punting or kicking field goals. We have to be on things technique.

The guys hurt because they are invested. The more you’re invested the more you’ll hurt. It’s a good thing the guys struggled after that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.