ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC Quick Hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Big week for us in preparation for a well coached talented team. Challenging place to play, especially at night. We’re excited for that challenge and a lot of work to do and things to improve on. Especially offensively. Felt good about 2 of the 3 phases Saturday and goal is to play a complete game this week.

The redshirt situation is really challenging in this landscape and I know coaches are frustrated with that and a lot of coaches pushing for 5 years total to get out of this and plays play and then decide not to play after 4 games in a season. No perfect answer and it’s their choice. You just have to work around it. Falls in category in way it’s been done for a while but should be revisited. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. From player side and coach side. For a player, do I keep playing or get another year? And you’re getting paid now. So save a year of salary a lot of times somewhere else. Puts both sides in a tough situation.

I don’t know that there’s reflection to do about the 100 wins. That’s outcome instead of process but I’m trying to work really hard and prepare our team. Lot of challenges within that in this conference. You just saw last week this is a deep hard conference like the NFL. Not like that most places. You don’t have time to think about much besides getting your team better all year around. Prepare and play well. This is challenging in the conference.

Not to diminish player led meetings but there are those all around the country and you don’t hear about them when teams lose. A lot of times they happen and then you lose. We have a lot of guys who really care about the team and this hurt them. I think it’s important to get around each other and it was a traumatic day. They didn’t expect to lose and the day was in hand if you go score you make it two scores. Hard to deal with and they helped each other through that having similar pain at the time.

They have a new staff and Brian does a great job. Think he’s the active winningest coach and you have to make hard changes to be successful and I’m sure it was hard for him to make those necessary changes to the staff. Every year is independent though. Not even a week ago can be related. Every week and every season is independent. You better get your team motivated and right or you’re going to lose.

All LSU teams are talented with great looking players. Explosive on offense. The QB is talented with a good release. Good players you’re playing against. Been that way for a long time.

We don’t get into much detail on injuries. Tre couldn’t finish the first half. Certainly wouldn’t be playing today. Have to get the other guys ready. Have to perform better when he’s not in the game. Takes moving people in different spots. Preparing to play without him.

No disrespect but secondary was better and Carolina didn’t throw it well. They missed some guys, but we made fewer mistakes. We’d made too many mistakes.

OL play was up and down. They have two elite defensive ends. Stewart looks like a top 10 pick in 3 years. They give you a unique scheme in how they play. They create negative plays. We could have played better but credit to them for doing a good job on that end too.

We’ve won at LSU while at Alabama but played sloppy. Then two years ago we took a lead and missed a double move and didn’t play well after that. That was Daniels coming out party. Had been hit or miss and we should have picked one early. Then he took off and became an elite player.

Both backs were beat up coming into the game and pass blocked well. We’ll keep looking at all the people and finding the best way to win.

Perkins has had to play multiple spots and now he is at one place and is really productive. Early on he took on a lot like their Perkins did but he is doing a great job and showing his talent.

In losses you find out a lot about yourself and as a team and they can be very defining. They can spiral, too. It’s all in how you handle it. I don’t overreact when a game is a one score game because you can win or lose. I do look at the UK game with they reacted right the next week and dominated a game on the road against USC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.