ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Let's take a stab at the starting lineup

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss is in official team practice mode and media day is today for the 2023 season. Typically, media day is closer to opening day and Mike gives his starting lineup fo the opener and discusses some other players who will play that opening weekend. That would be odd today since there are three weeks left, but since it's close enough, let's take a shot at it.

C - Calvin Harris - I think he also emerges as a team leader.
1B - Anthony Calarco - 13 home runs last year at Northwestern
2B - Peyton Chatagnier - He was so good in the bottom half of the lineup, no errors after February
SS - Jacob Gonzalez - Fully healthy after knee scare in the fall
3B - Ethan Lege - There are Justin Bench comparison, but I'm going to avoid doing that to him.
LF - TJ McCants - He's played through such heavy emotions. Rooting for him.
CF - Ethan Groff - Was hitting over .400 for Tulane when he got hurt last year. All-around player. I'm buying all the stock.
RF - Kemp Alderman - He's going to hit obviously. He's also improved into a really effective backup catcher
DH - Will Furniss - This could be several players, but I'll go with the excellent genetics.

SP - Hunter Elliott - I don't worry about the Friday move. He's competitive as hell.
SP - Grayson Saunier - From a straight talent standpoint, his ceiling is as high as any freshman I've covered. We'll see. Up to 95. Four-pitch mix.
SP - Xavier Rivas - I think he can throw strikes and be effective on Sunday. The bullpen injuries have this a little clunky.

SP - Sam Tookian - Freshman RHP was up to 94 in the fall. Breaking ball is quality.

Closer- Jack Dougherty - I know he can pitch multiple places, but this makes the most sense to me given the entire puzzle. The Mallitz injury is significant.

Mason Nichols is obviously in the bullpen. I want to see where his changeup is as far as development. That was needed for him to be a starter possibility. I also like freshman JT Quinn a lot. He's been up to 98 with his fastball, but it doesn't have extraordinary life. It's his offspeed stuff that I think makes him a really viable quality bullpen option.

On paper, the lineup doesn't really have any holes. I always am wait-and-see with JUCO transfers, so that's a question mark, though no fault of Lege. And they are lost some major contributors and a wealth of leadership. But Calarco and Groff should hit in the SEC, and I expect bigger years from Harris and Alderman. There's not an obvious DH choice.

I think Saunier and Rivas are the keys to the staff. If Saunier can be close to as advertised and can handle the transition and mental part of it and Rivas can throw strikes and eat some innings, it gives so much more flexibility to find the right roles for the young guys. If one of those don't hit, things could get disjointed on the mound.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News