ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of smoke about Clemson lawyering up and announcing departure from ACC possibly in October,,,,

Rebel822

Five-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2020
I thought all the dominos had fallen for awhile but maybe not, many reports out today about Clemson and possibly FSU, UNC and UVA leaving together and South Carolina being on fire hot about it in the background (they do NOT want Clemson in the SEC). The foursome may be open to the highest bidder and I don't believe the SEC will stand by and let the 4 go to the Big10 and become conference #2.
One Clemson senior administrator told Gene Sapakoff of The Post and Courier that Clemson might be announcing a departure from the ACC "sooner than later." Along with Florida State and North Carolina, these have been the three schools most likely to leave this Power Five conference. If you wanted to pick a fourth, it is probably Virginia, but the Hoos could have some bigger fish to fry.

The big question now is not if, but when, and more importantly where to? If Clemson is able to get out of its grant of rights, odds are the Tigers will be heading to either the Big Ten or the SEC. The smart money would have to be on the latter for cultural reasons, as well as Clemson not being an AAU university which the Big Ten loves more than FOX TV money. The big question is when can they leave.
I know the deadline passed for a 2024 exit, but who knows,,, they can announce a departure but it likely has to play out in the courts before the SEC or Big10 would touch them (but maybe not???)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News