ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: LSU reactions

Zach Berry

Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Jul 24, 2019
not sure how to feel after that one, but here goes

- john rhys plumlee is special. I know that his arm is suspect, but let's remember he is only a true freshman. maybe it will improve over the offseason, maybe it won't. but the dude needs to be on the field in some capacity moving forward. the dude was DUSTING dave aranda's entire secondary and is 11 yards away from 1,000 for the season in just eight games. we won't get into the RR offense because we have talked about that at length, but ole miss has a special weapon that is now 4th in the league in rushing as a quarterback. I suggest they continue to find ways to utilize him
- I don't think enough can be said about the job that jack bicknell has done with the offensive line. yes, they're not great, but they're more than serviceable. ealy and plumlee make things happen, sure, but the run game and the inside runs have gotten better as the season has gone on and that is a testament to the work JB has done with this group
- I said I wouldn't get into the offense, but I thought the play calling, outside of a few drives, was much better. they've gotta find a way to make it a consistent thing
- octavious cooley continues to make the most of what little touches he gets
- snoop conner also continues to do so. might be the best evaluation this staff made in 2019
- elijah moore is quietly 6th in the league in receiving yards behind the alabama and LSU cheat codes and a record-setting gamecock. that's an extraordinary feat in this lopsided offense
- i'm curious to see what jonathan mingo and dontario drummond look like next season. mingo hasn't had a multiple catch game since vanderbilt and drummond hasn't had a catch since the A&M game. they're both big, physical targets that, if used properly, can be weapons in an offense that focuses a ton on the run game and moore
- it's hard to get a ton out of a game where you give up 57 points and joe burrow throws for almost 500, but the improvement can still be seen
- the freshmen secondary continues to impress and be a recruiting tool. deantre prince is going to be a good one and A.J. finley and jay stanley will be multi-year starters. it's great that they're getting this PT this season
- lakia henry continues to make plays, but you can tell it's wearing on him and jacquez jones not having momo sanogo out there to spell them at times
- the missed sacks and tackles are a huge zit on the face of MM's much-improved defense
- hated to see benito jones go down and miss the second half on senior night. he has been fantastic all season and should be in line for a pay day come next april
- once sam williams gets acclimated to SEC play, he will be a monster. he is still swimming at times and is still not in great shape, but he makes plays and is a terror for offensive tackles off the edge
- the egg bowl is going to be won up front and dudes like benito, williams, austrian robinson, josiah coatney, and quentin bivens are going to need to pack a lunch to deal with kylin hill. IMO that's how you beat mississippi state. stop kylin hill and they're beat
- lastly, as evidenced by last night's commitment from daran branch, the opportunities to play in this secondary are there. keshawn lawrence, avantae williams, and others have noticed and will definitely be told this as we draw closer to signing day

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News