ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Emmert, Greg Sankey statements

rebintideland

All-Pro NFL
Dec 24, 2005
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/statement-mark-emmert-regarding-mississippi-flag

Statement from Mark Emmert regarding Mississippi flag
June 28, 2020 10:52pm
“We are pleased the Mississippi legislature has acted swiftly to remove the Confederate battle emblem from the state flag, and we look forward to Governor Reeves signing this bill. It has too long served as a symbol of oppression, racism and injustice. We welcome this important move by state lawmakers to remove the symbol from prominence in the state, which will also open the opportunity to host NCAA championships after the recently expanded championship policy.”

Media Contact
Stacey
Osburn
NCAA Director of Communications
NCAA
317-917-6117

Greg Sankey, Commissioner of the SEC

“I am proud of our universities’ leadership, and the engagement of student-athletes and coaches in the efforts to change the State of Mississippi flag,” the statement read. “The agreement to remove the Confederate battle emblem from the flag is a positive and appropriate action, and I applaud the Mississippi House of Representatives and Senate for today’s action. I am also grateful for Governor Reeves’ openness to sign a bill to change the flag. As I have frequently said, our students deserve the opportunity to learn and compete in welcoming environments. Today’s action is welcomed in the spirit of this goal.”

Reactions: wcrowlen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News