ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: McCready: 10 Weekend Thoughts presented by Harry Alexander

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS

Fall camp has begun, and Ole Miss will practice in full pads for the first time on Monday. We get a viewing period Monday and we have scheduled interviews Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I still have some leftover interviews from Ole Miss’ media day last week, so I decided to combine those with some entries on other topics for a notebook-style 10 Weekend Thoughts. As always, Thoughts are brought to you by RE/MAX agent Harry Alexander. No one knows the residential and condominium market in Oxford better than Harry. Check out his website, www.harryalexander.com.

1. There was no eureka moment for Laquon Treadwell, but at some point this summer, the All-Southeastern Conference wide receiver finally began to feel like his old self.

Treadwell’s season ended late in the fourth quarter of Ole Miss’ 35-31 heartbreaking loss to Auburn when he broke his leg and dislocated his ankle inside the Tigers’ 1-yard line on what would have been the go-ahead touchdown in what was essentially a national semifinal game.

Treadwell looked good in late spring, but he was held out of spring drills. By early summer, Treadwell felt better. About a month ago, Treadwell felt his confidence return in full.

“I knew I was back,” Treadwell said. “It took a lot of work and a lot of effort and a lot of motivating myself. I would talk to my teammates and coaches and I’d ask them what they see. It took a lot of training, a lot of individual training, a lot of ladders, jump ropes, 100-yard sprints, anything that would make me comfortable with working out again.”

Treadwell is going through camp at some 210 pounds, about 20 pounds less than he carried during his sophomore season at Ole Miss.

“Now I’m way stronger than before my injury, so I don’t want to put on that weight if I’m stronger and faster,” Treadwell said. “It’s a health issue. I think it feels better for me.”

Treadwell said he’s down to just seven percent body fat, adding he’s “absolutely” quicker, something the guys throwing to him agree with.

“He’s faster,” quarterback Ryan Buchanan said. “I think it’s great. He’s going to be a streaker. He’s always been a streaker, but now, he’s got the muscle with the same mindset of being a physical blocker. I think that’s the best thing about having Laquon. He can catch anything in his range, but he’s a physical blocker, too.”

“He’s looks different,” quarterback DeVante Kincade said. “He looks way more explosive. Now, when I throw the ball, I have to make sure I anticipate well because he’s way faster than I’m used to. He’s explosive, fast and he jumps higher. He feels better, and if you feel better, you’re going to play better.”

Treadwell said the injury could end up making him a better player, as it forced him to evaluate every aspect of his game.

“All our cornerbacks say my routes are smoother,” Treadwell said. “They can’t tell when I’m coming out of my breaks. I’m faster. My separation is even better. If I get a step on you, I can beat you down the field. I talk to them every day. I ask them what they see and what I can work on. The sky’s the limit.”

Of course, there’s the mental aspect of football. At some point, perhaps in fall camp and perhaps not until the Rebels’ Sept. 5 opener against UT-Martin, Treadwell will get hit. That rehabilitated leg will be tested.

“If I get hit, I get hit,” Treadwell said. “I’ve already been through so much pain since it happened.”

Treadwell said he’s watched the replay of Auburn linebacker Kris Frost grabbing the back of his shoulder pads and pulling him down multiple times.

“It doesn’t bother me. Before I got hurt, I didn’t like seeing injuries like that. Once it happened to me, I can watch it and watch it again. It’s just motivation to me, honestly.

“My injury really motivated me to play every play like it’s my last. That’s what I’ll do this year. Hopefully, you’ll see a better me.”

Treadwell said he also believes Ole Miss, 9-4 a year ago, will be a better team this fall.

“I really think this team will be better, as far as focus, the drive we have,” Treadwell said. “Everyone has something to prove, whether it’s a quarterback, a running back, corners that haven’t played, safeties that are trying to improve their draft stock. We all have our own motivation this year. It’s proven that everyone wants the same goal – a national championship.”

2. There’s not much fall camp access for media. If there were, the ongoing quarterback competition between Buchanan, Kincade and Chad Kelly would be heavily scrutinized. Treadwell was asked to handicap the race recently, and he _ not surprisingly _ answered diplomatically.

“They’re all great,” Treadwell said. “They all have their own game. DeVante is more athletic. Chad, he’ll take a chance. That what makes each one of them special, and Ryan, he’s poised. You can’t break him. You don’t know where he’s going to go with the ball. He’ll check it down every now and then. All of them are great quarterbacks.”

3. Last season, Ole Miss players talked about a “new normal” in Oxford. This season, throughout the program, there seems to be heightened expectations and an eagerness to embrace lofty goals. Hugh Freeze addressed it throughout the preseason, and several players have spoken about a different attitude and atmosphere inside the program.

“It starts with the little things that we didn’t do before,” Buchanan said. “Now we don’t accept a guy being one minute late to workouts in the offseason. It’s doing the little things. It’s being on time. It’s making our grades. Our GPA is higher than it used to be. To be a great national program, you’re going to do those things and I don’t think we did them before. We’ve got a lot more talent in now and a lot of guys who work hard and it goes year-round.”

4. One of the players who has witnessed Ole Miss’ transformation firsthand is running back Jaylen Walton. Walton rushed 106 times for 586 yards and five touchdowns, adding 19 catches out of the backfield as well. Walton is hoping to improve those numbers this fall, hoping to be recognized by NFL scouts as a complete back.

“All I can do is do mine, run the ball, get positive yards, be able to catch the ball out of the backfield and still be able to contribute on special teams,” Walton said. “I just have to do my job. My film will speak for itself. I feel as though I’ve done a very good job of proving myself as a complete back.”

Ole Miss struggled to run the football with any real consistency in 2014, averaging 155.5 yards per game on the ground. The Rebels really struggled in their interior running game, finishing No. 117 nationally in stuff plays, meaning rushing plays that lost yardage. Improving that, Walton said, is a major point of emphasis this preseason.

“The running game starts up front,” Walton said. “We can’t get a yard without the front line. This year, we just have to work hard from the front line to our position as well. Hopefully, the running game will be way better than it was in previous years.”

5. Ole Miss is hopeful that Akeem Judd, who sat out last season with a toe injury and some subsequent conditioning issues, can provide another option out of the backfield. Judd is down to 210 pounds this summer, 10 fewer than he carried last August.

“It was a little frustrating, but it worked out for the better,” Judd said, adding the extra year not only allowed him to change his body a bit but also gave him more time to master the Rebels’ offensive playbook. “I actually gained a lot of knowledge. I feel like it benefited me a lot, but not being able to play, that was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.”

“It’s a good weight,” Ole Miss running backs coach Derrick Nix said. “He never was a bad-looking kid, but now he’s gotten his body fat lower and he looks more like a true SEC running back now and he’s just a junior. He’s got two SEC seasons to play.”

Judd had a strong spring, and he will likely be one of two running backs who will get significant playing time in relief of Walton.

“Me and big Jordan (Wilkins) are the big bodies of the team and both of us are capable,” Judd said. “It’s very important. We’ve got a lot of great backs who can get the job done. We’ve got a lot of good quarterbacks who can get the job done, but in order to balance out the offense, we’re going to have to have a great running game. It’s one of the most important things this year.”

6. The Rebels’ reliance on smaller running backs has been the source of a good bit of fan consternation the past couple of years. One of Ole Miss’ 2016 running back commitments, D’Vaughn Pennamon, is a 221-pounder. The Rebels are also pursuing four-star running back Devin White, who has tipped the scales at 258 pound this summer.

However, Nix said Ole Miss is not “real hung up on size” when it is evaluating prospective running backs.

“My No. 1 thing for a running back is speed and quickness,” Nix said. “Be fast when the hole is there and get in one-on-one position to be able to make a play. Of course, you have to get the tough yards. You have to be able to pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield, but if you can’t run, you can’t play the position in this league. You have to be able to out-run linebackers and defensive backs in this league.”

7. Damore’ea Stringfellow arrived in Oxford last season with ridiculously high expectations. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Californian had transferred in from Washington, where had caught 20 passes for 259 yards and one touchdown as a freshman.

Stringfellow was so impressive in fall camp last August that some observers drooled over the prospect of teaming him with Treadwell and Evan Engram to give Ole Miss a dynamic trio of physically imposing downfield targets.

Then Stringfellow’s appeal to the NCAA for immediate eligibility and a waiver of the transfer rules was denied and Stringfellow was forced to sit out the 2014 season. Predictably, Stringfellow lost a bit of his edge and that showed in the form of inconsistency last spring.

Eligible to play now, Stringfellow said he’s chomping at the bit to get back into a competitive game, this time representing the SEC instead of the Pac-12.

“It’s a lot more exciting,” Stringfellow said. “There’s a lot more to look forward to, knowing I can play, especially with the team we have this year. I’m excited to see what can happen. Last year, I watched every Saturday, looking at who I was going to go up against. It was a learning experience.

“I needed to pick my game up. I needed to put more work in to have that inconsistency go away. I have to be more consistent with everything.”

Ole Miss is looking for someone to step up as the No. 2 receiver opposite Treadwell. Vince Sanders filled that role last season, but he has exhausted his eligibility. Cody Core, Quincy Adeboyejo and Markell Pack are all candidates. So is Stringfellow.

“I’m pretty confident, just because I know how hard I worked and how hard I’m going to work,” Stringfellow said. “That second receiver could be anybody. We have a room full of very good receivers and we’re always competing. Time is going to tell.”

Whoever wins that job figures to see plenty of single coverage, as it’s likely opposing defensive coordinators will put their attention on Treadwell.

“I’m waiting for my opportunity,” Stringfellow said. “If they leave me in single coverage, I’m going to take full advantage of it.”

8. Minnesota and Pittsburgh kicked off the NFL preseason on Sunday in Canton, Ohio, a sure sign that the season is getting much closer.

This week in 10 Weekend Thoughts, it’s time to focus on the NFC South, home of last season’s biggest underachiever, the New Orleans Saints. The Saints sent tight end Jimmy Graham to Seattle for center Max Unger, added running back C.J. Spiller and cornerback Brandon Browning, among others. New Orleans’ championship window is closing rapidly, and another subpar season could have the Saints doing some soul-searching as Drew Brees’ contract becomes more constricting.

In Atlanta, Mike Smith is out and Dan Quinn is in, but the Falcons’ problem _ a lack of defensive prowess _ remains a major problem. Draft choices Vic Beasley, Jalen Collins and Grady Jarrett are all going to be counted on to help Atlanta’s defense, but it’s hard to see the Falcons being improved enough on that side of the ball to be much better than a .500 team.

Carolina locked up quarterback Cam Newton following a 7-8-1 season, but the Panthers remain a very confusing operation. They added Ted Ginn and Michael Oher via free agency but Carolina didn’t do anything to make itself look like a bonafide NFC contender.

Tampa Bay, meanwhile, is starting the Jameis Winston era after drafting the former Florida State star No. 1 overall in May. The Bucs didn’t go out and get Winston much help, so it’s difficult to believe they’re going to improve enough to be a factor in the division.

In short, it’s not difficult to foresee a team going 8-8 (or 7-9, for that matter) and winning the division. I’ll pick New Orleans to win it at 8-8, with Carolina finishing 7-7, Atlanta 5-11 and Tampa Bay 3-13.

9. There’s now no doubt the Toronto Blue Jays were inspired by the actions of their front office at the trade deadline. On Sunday, Josh Donaldson and Jose Bautista each homered, while Marco Estrada tossed 6 1/3 scoreless innings, allowing the Blue Jays to put the finishing touches on a three-game sweep of the New York Yankees.

Toronto has now won eight consecutive games to pull within 1 ½ games of the Yankees for first place in the American League East. The weekend sweep was the first time the Blue Jays swept New York on the road since May 22-25, 2003. Toronto is now 7-2 against its division rival this season.

The only team as hot as the Blue Jays is the Chicago Cubs, which beat San Francisco Sunday, 2-0, to give the Cubs a four-game sweep of the Giants at Wrigley Field. The Cubs, winners of 10 of their last 11 games, now lead the Giants by 3 ½ games for the National League’s final wildcard spot. The Cubs are doing it with four rookies _ Kyle Schwarber, Kris Bryant, Jose Soler and Addison Russell _ in their every-day lineup. The Cubs are 3 ½ games behind Pittsburgh (pending the result of the Pirates’ Sunday night date with the Los Angeles Dodgers) for the top wildcard spot _ and home field _ in the N.L.

The next best story in baseball is the post-trade deadline renaissance of the New York Mets, which have now won seven of their last 10 games and opened up a 1 ½-game lead over the free-falling Washington Nationals in the National League East.

How good are the St. Louis Cardinals, by the way? The Cubs, at 62-48, would lead the American League East, American League West, National League East and National League West (again, depending on the outcome of the Dodgers-Pirates Sunday night game). They would trail Kansas City by four games in the American League Central. However, after St. Louis’ 5-4 loss Sunday at Miller Park in Milwaukee, the Cardinals (71-40) lead the Cubs by 8 ½ games in the N.L. Central. Amazing.

10. Here are some leftover links for your reading pleasure from college football, the NFL and more. Have a great week.

Who has the most talent in college football? According to NFL.com, it’s Ohio State. Two of the top five most talent-laden teams, by the way, are in the SEC West.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...top-25-cfb-teams-with-most-nfl-talent-in-2015

Depending on who you listen to _ and likely on your political views _ Donald Trump was either biggest winner or the biggest loser of Thursday’s Republican presidential debate in Cleveland, Ohio. The person who likely benefited the most from the event _ and its aftermath _ was Fox News anchor/debate moderator Megyn Kelly.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...egyn-kelly-republican-debate?CMP=share_btn_fb

If former LSU wide receiver Reuben Randle continues to develop, Eli Manning could have a wealth of riches in his receiver corps.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/foo...e=twitter.com&utm_campaign=RVacchiano+Twitter

It’s almost NFL fantasy draft time. Yahoo’s Brad Evans believes taking Andrew Luck No. 1 overall might not be a crazy idea.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fanta...no--1-overall-isn-t-outlandish-231226236.html

The NFL isn’t the only venue for fantasy freaks. Fantasy college football is exploding as well.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...orts-college-football-growing-business-080415

A NASA camera aboard the Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) satellite captured a unique view of the moon as it moved in front of the sunlit side of Earth last month. The series of test images shows the fully illuminated “dark side” of the moon that is never visible from Earth. Oh, and it was really cool.

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth

Every so often, I crave a Coors. Not Coors Lite, mind you. Coors. You know, the banquet beer. However, most of the time, when I drink beer, I want the European stuff or American craft beer. American beer (unless you’d like to advertise with us, Budweiser, at which point, I love you), can be kind of dull. I’m not the only person who feels that way.

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a36916/why-american-beer-tastes-bland/

In case you needed more reasons to enjoy a nice brew, by the way, here are eight:

http://www.dnaindia.com/health/repo...ts-of-beer-that-will-boggle-your-mind-2112060

Bacon, on the other hand, may make men less fertile. I’m 45. Who cares? If I want bacon with my beer or beer with my bacon,

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/f...0001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News