ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Hilton

Beatlesreb

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2015
Panama City, FL
Why isn't he mentioned in the draft? Stellar in the Sugar Bowl, Alabama, LSU, and others. If he is a free agent, he'll be a beast!

He is getting a lot of pub about being left out of the combine. One article said he and Elston were the two best players left out.

Why isn't he mentioned in the draft? Stellar in the Sugar Bowl, Alabama, LSU, and others. If he is a free agent, he'll be a beast!

The biggest problem is he never played one position and pro's look at that as he is a jack of all trades. Those types are always considered good at alot of things but great at nothing. We love Mike but when it comes to the NFL it's hard for them to justify a 4 year multi-million dollar commitment to someone who is 5'8" and never set himself apart from other players in the country at any position.

The biggest problem is he never played one position and pro's look at that as he is a jack of all trades. Those types are always considered good at alot of things but great at nothing. We love Mike but when it comes to the NFL it's hard for them to justify a 4 year multi-million dollar commitment to someone who is 5'8" and never set himself apart from other players in the country at any position.
He problem isn't that he is a jack of all trades. The problem is he is 5'8 and plays DB...

he'll probably be undrafted free agent. Which isnt that bad. He can choose the team he wants. If he works hard and no indictation he will not, he could be in the leagues for years

Still don't get how Tre wasn't invited. Everything I have read lists him as one of the top FS prospects. I know he had some off-field issues, but it seemed like he addressed those in a favorable manner.

he'll probably be undrafted free agent. Which isnt that bad. He can choose the team he wants. If he works hard and no indictation he will not, he could be in the leagues for years
If a player isn't drafted in the first 1-3 rounds he is better off going the free agent route.

Are you saying free agents receive better pay than draftees 4th-12th?
No they have better opportunities. He gets to pick his team that he fits in best with. Some times players are drafted late for special teams, backups or practice guys. Of course you can show out and become a starter but in some situations thats just not possible. Think if he was drafted in the 5th by the seahawks, there is no chance he gets pt in that secondary. If he goes free agent to say the chargers he may have a chance.

No they have better opportunities. He gets to pick his team that he fits in best with. Some times players are drafted late for special teams, backups or practice guys. Of course you can show out and become a starter but in some situations thats just not possible. Think if he was drafted in the 5th by the seahawks, there is no chance he gets pt in that secondary. If he goes free agent to say the chargers he may have a chance.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Senquez Golson was 5'8" and he got drafted in the 2nd round. What's the difference b/w he and Hilton? And will Golson ever play for Pittsburgh?

Golson was 5'9 per the combine official measure. I know it's not a lot but he also played CB. That's it, he didn't get moved all over. He played one position and excelled at that one position. Hilton may make a roster and have a long career but NFL teams aren't using a draft pick on a guy who never locked down one place as a starter in college unless it is a position like RB or QB. By all accounts Golson is fully recovering and should participate in all football activities this year. He may end up being the starter there before it's all said and done. Hilton doesn't have the same coverage skills as Golson though.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
It's just like elston and prewitt, Cody should have played SS his entire career but he started out at FS so they left him there with the thought of it works don't try to fix it. When Elston got there the only place they had for him was SS. That's why he isn't at the combine. He would be a top 5 FS but he played his entire career as a SS. Could you imagine him in the NFL playing like Roman Harper, Troy Palomalu or Kam Chancelor? No he is a center field kind of guy that's good in coverage. That's exactly what a FS does yet he spent his entire collage as SS.

My prediction is Hilton will make it on an NFL roster. I am not all a secondary expert, but is it safe to assume that CBs are taller than SS's? Apologize for the silly questions, but I'm getting something out of this conversation. Many thanks.

My prediction is Hilton will make it on an NFL roster. I am not all a secondary expert, but is it safe to assume that CBs are taller than SS's? Apologize for the silly questions, but I'm getting something out of this conversation. Many thanks.

Strong Safeties in the NFL have to be able to play down like a linebacker and still be quick enough to cover in space. Corners don't tackle alot in the NFL. For the most part they just have to keep receivers from catching a pass. Think if Hilton was matched up on Larry Fitzgerald, Alshon Jeffreys or Calvin Johnson. He may make it as a nickle back which could be a good fit for him. Typically your slot is smaller and faster in the NFL (wes welker type) He matches up well there. The only problem is when he lines up against teams like New England who like to catch teams with their nickle package and split gronk into the slot. Can you imagine Hilton trying to cover that?

Strong Safeties in the NFL have to be able to play down like a linebacker and still be quick enough to cover in space. Corners don't tackle alot in the NFL. For the most part they just have to keep receivers from catching a pass. Think if Hilton was matched up on Larry Fitzgerald, Alshon Jeffreys or Calvin Johnson. He may make it as a nickle back which could be a good fit for him. Typically your slot is smaller and faster in the NFL (wes welker type) He matches up well there. The only problem is when he lines up against teams like New England who like to catch teams with their nickle package and split gronk into the slot. Can you imagine Hilton trying to cover that?
I understand. Many thanks for clarifying that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT