ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Monday coaching search update

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Starting Friday, I began to hear more Chris Beard-Ole Miss buzz. It built some over the weekend and is pretty strong right now. Ole Miss is digging very deep on Beard, depths which could only be interpreted as being very serious. Now, it's more complicated than that. There are other schools potentially involved. Money could very well be an issue. However, I was told Friday Ole Miss was growing very comfortable with Beard's off-court situation (meaning it wouldn't be a problem down the road) and was still very much involved. Texas Tech is going to open. A coaching source said St. John's could be an option for Beard. There are multiple moving parts and these things are rarely black and white. I have heard specific names regarding who might be on a hypothetical Beard/Ole Miss staff. He's very clearly discussed that with some coaches.

I know there's a lot of Dusty May talk today, and the FAU coach is very clearly a target of interest, but it sounds like Beard remains the top target. That could very well be me guessing a bit or reading things into things, as I'll reiterate Ole Miss has kept this very quiet. But that is what it sounds like at this point.

After Beard and May, I've got nothing. It would be just above guessing. There are some discussing Grant McCasland and Paul Mills and Bucky McMillan, but most of that feels pretty rumor-ey, if you will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News