ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Monday, Dec. 13 Recruiting/Transfer Portal Chiks, presented by Oxford Krystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
I'll start you off with some OL vs. DL video from the Mississippi-Alabama High School Classic.

https://n.rivals.com/news/ms-al-all-star-game-alabama-ol-vs-dl

I had a pretty busy day yesterday. It was probably not the "lots of chiks" I would have fantasized about back in the day, but alas... Anyway, here's yesterday's thread, if you need a refresher:

The dead period has begun. It runs until around Jan. 12 for Ole Miss, so things are going to slow down a good bit. The signing period begins Wednesday. Guys who make it this long without publicly committing typically make it to NSD, but we're following along. Rivals.com sent commitment graphics for Derrick Moore to both Ole Miss and Michigan. I'll be honest and tell you I don't know.

Transfer portal guys don't "sign," so the drama continues until they enroll at their new campus and begin classes next month, I suppose.

Speaking of, I asked about Bo Nix a bit over the weekend. He wasn't in the portal at the time, so there wasn't a lot to say about the Auburn quarterback. I did sense some interest on Ole Miss' part. Nix will have a ton of suitors. He offers stability at the position, as much as he's been criticized during his career at Auburn. Clemson, LSU, Liberty, Cincinnati, Nebraska and Ole Miss have all been mentioned as possibilities.

Ole Miss wants a quarterback who has experience at this level. It's why it was willing to tolerate Spencer Rattler's issues. It's why it covets Dillon Gabriel.

As for Gabriel, he's not talking. This is from the Los Angeles Daily News regarding Gabriel's visit to UCLA this weekend:

As Oregon has tried to recruit Kelly in its search to replace Mario Cristobal, Kelly’s recruiting efforts for UCLA continued Saturday when he was spotted talking with Central Florida transfer quarterback Dillon Gabriel at practice.

Gabriel, a former 3-star quarterback from Mililani, Hawaii, announced his intentions to enter the transfer portal Nov. 27. There were also reports Gabriel had a visit with Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin last weekend. On Saturday afternoon, 247sports had three experts predicting the Bruins as the favorite to land the junior quarterback.
Gabriel fractured his left clavicle in UCF’s third game of the season and didn’t return. In September, UCF announced the injury didn’t require surgery.

The left-hander had 8,037 passing yards, 70 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in three seasons at UCF.

Kelly has proved he can identify and recruit impact players in the transfer portal over the past two years. Running back Zach Charbonnet transferred from Michigan during the spring before rushing for 1,137 yards and 13 touchdowns in 12 games this season.

A commitment from Gabriel would add depth to UCLA’s quarterback room, which has started to thin out over the last two weeks as redshirt freshman Parker McQuarrie and freshman Kajiya Hollawayne entered the portal.

The Bruins also awaits a decision from four-year starting quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson on whether he will forgo his extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA because of the 2020 COVID-19 season.
Redshirt sophomore Chase Griffin and redshirt freshman Ethan Garbers, who transferred from Washington this year, are the only quarterbacks, other than Thompson-Robinson, with playing experience on the roster. Griffin and Garbers are likely to return next season.

Ole Miss seemed to feel confident regarding Gabriel yesterday, but if Rattler goes to South Carolina and the Bruins close on Gabriel, I'd think Ole Miss would turn up the heat on Nix. Cameron Ward visited this weekend, but he left wanting to see what else transpired -- he didn't get in the portal until Thursday -- and I couldn't help but wonder if Ole Miss was taking that slowly. I suspect in Ole Miss' ideal world, it lands a guy like Gabriel or Nix who is proven and adds Ward, who tore up the FCS level but likely needs some refinement before he takes on an SEC schedule. Of course, that's a luxury the Rebels may not be able to afford.

More as we get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News