ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Monday practice observations

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
About two hours into practice, the rain came down quickly and intensely on campus. The team moved inside at the first sight of lightning and got inside and going in the Manning Center before the rain came down. They finished up another 20-30 minutes inside. I was impressed at how quickly the transition happened. They were taking reps within 5 minutes of going inside.

Ole Miss practiced in the powder blue lids on Monday. It was the white helmets last week.

I saw scouts from the Chargers, Jags and Chiefs.

I said this last week, but Jaxson Dart moved around normally. He ran he football some and looked 100 percent doing it. I don’t notice any issue after the knee clean up in the summer.

Quinshon Judkins was good in the passing game on Monday. He won one-on-ones during 7-on-7 and showed good hands and routes. We didn’t see a ton of that last year, and it’s the most reps I’ve noticed in a practice so far.

Your daily Ayden Williams update. He was really good again. He also took a kickoff back for a touchdown during practice. He can do that well, but it’s to be seen if Ole Miss will risk it. My guess is Bentley and Wade back deep. It’s a guess.

There were a couple skirmishes in practice on Monday. It happens as practice goes on in the heat. Players get a little grumpy. No harm, no foul. It happens every year.

Spencer Sanders was more active in a leadership role. He made points multiple times to congratulate and acknowledge offensive linemen and help younger players. Not that he was bad at it or avoiding it, but it was more noticeable for whatever reason. Neal mentioned it on Saturday, but Austin Simmons continues to ask a lot of questions from the other quarterbacks.

Walker Howard didn’t have a lot of time when he was working with the third team during 11 on 11 but his pocket awareness was good with moving the pocket and using his feet. I’m not sure what to take from those reps otherwise, but I was behind the line of scrimmage and had a good view of that.

Bralon Brown is just inconsistent. He makes the great play occasionally and then has drops and mistakes. He had a really good first half of practice but then had some bad reps later in practice and had a key fumble during team work at the end of practice. He’s still with the reserves most of the time. The flash is bright, but then there’s the rest of it.

Cedric Johnson was disruptive today. He was quick and in the backfield constantly in team drills. Stephon Wynn was very good in the middle. He had a pass deflection and an interception and was good in run defense and pass defense.

Sanders hit a hot route to Tre Harris for the biggest play of team drills. Ladarius Tennison came untouched on a blitz and Sanders took one step and got it to Harris on a slant who then split the second level. Good read and good execution.

Michael Trigg was almost exclusively with the third/scout team. His body language seemed better, but his spot on the practice field was definitely a message to him. Hard not to notice that Lane praised Prieskorn’s leadership today, in juxtaposition.

They did a ton of teaching today. Even though they had shoulder pads on, it wasn’t a ton of really physical contact. Obviously no intentional tackling to the ground. A lot of drills and a lot of team drills with pauses to go over things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News