ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: My last thought on Elliott for tonight

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
You can read Mike's full comment in the story linked above. Obviously forearm tightness is often a sign of a ligament issue in the elbow. That is what the MRI was for and what the worst-case worry is with Elliott. However, it's worth noting Elliott was able to throw multiple days without pain. Mike was honest as he could be considering all the opinions are not back yet from the orthopedics they sent the results to. And, per Mike, tightness was the only symptom. There were no grip issues or numbness involved -- two signs that are frequently present if there's a torn ligament. With tightness being the only symptom, there is possibly a path that this isn't surgical. I'm not saying it's for sure not surgical, but the signs are better than I feared when I first heard about it.

Ole Miss allows the players to seek opinions from other doctors, and everyone is waiting to hear all the courses of action recommended by these orthopedics. With that going on, it could be a couple days before we know more and frankly some of this is Hunter deciding what he wants to do. So, for now, back away from the ledge. Compared to what he heard initially, it's maybe not that bad and there's maybe a rehab option possible, a couple orthopedics told me today. We'll know more when we know more.

It could have been worst case today. It wasn't. Tightness being the only symptom is a positive sign. Could it still be worst case? Sure. But, overall I thought there's some optimism in what we've heard today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.