ADVERTISEMENT

My Tesla car rental story

surfrebel

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2005
So I had a business trip to Nor cal last week.
Starting in Sacramento and ending up in San Jose.

I usually go like a Pro but they were out of cars. Damn Lobbyists creating all kinds of menacing laws.

Hertz had some cars so I went with them.
They offered a Tesla at around the same price so I decided to give it a go. After all no fuel extras right? Ha Ha.
I've never even been in a Tesla and was excited to try it out.
Hertz claimed the car could go 260 miles. Plenty for my trip.

It was a Tesla Model 3. Or as I like to now say a Hotwheels with an iPad Pro.
Fortunately one of the attendants gave me a few pointers before cranking it up.

Right off the bat the juice level is at 85%. I asked why and they said the last 15% takes forever to charge so they allow turn ins at 85%.
OK now that meant I'd probably have to search out a charge station. OK not part of the original plan but too late now.

My hotel was a 30 min drive in low 40 degree weather. Problem was the iPad Pro was a shit show for newbies.
I couldn't find the heat controls so I was damn cold by the time I got to the hotel.

Next day after my morning meetings headed to Santa Clara Convention Center for a Trade Show.
Juice level was in the 60s. I estimate I probably went 40-50 miles. So now I'm wondering if I can make it without a side stop for a charge.

I will say I really like the Navigation app. It took a little while to figure out how to pull it up and make it go away - swipes and up finger moves.
Also it has a permanenta charging station link. You hit that and all the charging stations populate.
But the one feature that bogus it has is telling you how much juice you'll have when you arrive. Total speculation.

So I'm off to the Santa Clara Convention Center. 130 miles away. Navi says I'll have 20% upon arrival. So I'm thinking OK I can charge at the Convention Center while I walk the show.

As I made my way it became clear I wasn't going to make it. Navi kept fessing up and with about 30 miles out said I'll have 10%.
So I exited the freeway and found a nice Tesla Branded charge station. These are always in massively populated shopping areas. So its never a quick exit, then charge and go. Best to add 10-15 minutes to your estimate of how much time to allocate due to navigate shopping area roads, shoppers, walkways, cars parking etc..

This one was in a Target parking lot. Luckily off by itself accept Teslas.
I back in to a stall and walk the car 3 or 4 times trying to figure out where to insert the charger.
Luckily a lady was sitting in the car next to me reading a book while she juiced.
Besides helping me find my charging receptacle (rear driver side tail light has a depress feature) she went through a sales campaign on the Teslas.
She's had hers for 7 years.
When I started charging I was in the mid 20s. I waited about 15 minutes and got it to the mid 30s. Plenty to get to the convention center where I could hook up.

I get to the convention center with about 10%. Whew.
Took awhile to find the chargers in the parking garage. They are never easily found. This one was a non Tesla branded charging outpost.
Welp, this charger had a different plug type. So I was hosed.
So I had to find a Tesla Branded after I finished the Show.
Luckily there was one 2 mile away. Again in a massive shopping area that took awhile to actually locate. Stress level was elevating.
Found it and charged up for 30-40 minute while I did emails. But the damn thing would only go to 85%. I had more available free time and was willing but no go.
I should have asked one of the 2 dozen Teslaites for the scoop on getting to 100%.

Went on with my dinner meeting and made my way to my hotel that night.
Yep found a charging station right in front. right next to the handicap spots. I felt special.
Wow, could I leave it plugged in all night and hit the magical 100% ?
Since it was a non Tesla charger (Charge Point) I had to download an APP with Credit Card info since its locked and you cant even pull the charger out of the charging stand to see if its going to fit my car.
Not a super huge deal since I had time, but if I was in an hurry I'd be pissed.
Whoops wrong plug type. Now what.
Fortunately Charge Point had an 800 number. Yeah right . 10:30 at night. Shazam they did answer.
Guess what. The Hertz attendant didnt tell me this nugget. Teslas have an adaptor in the trunk.
It worked and I left it plugged in all night right out front where there are never any parking spots for us neanderthals.

Next morning I check the APP. 85%. WTF! Same old same old story.

OK so this meant after my appointments that day I was going to have to charge yet again to get to 85%.

So after my last meeting as I was in a hurry to the airport I had to locate a Tesla charger that was close enough to the Airport.
Remember I had to leave it with 85% and I couldn't charge it too far away from the airport or I might dip too low on the fuel gauge.
What a bunch of shit.

I dont know about anybody else but when I rent a car for business I usually dont have a ton of spare time to get to the airport.

I juiced about 2 miles from the airport but the damn charging station only got me to 80%. So I had no choice but go with it.

When I pulled in to Hertz the juice level was at 78%. They let me off without dinging me.

I write this so that people can see EVs aren't ready for prime time.
Short trip driving yes. But long distances or business. F No. Way too much added stress.
I was lucky this wasn't a typical busy cell phone trip on top of my in-person calls.

I found out high speeds and air condition/heat kills your efficiency.

I haven't even addressed the total cost of the gas er I mean electricity.
I'll have four different charging bills. Who knows when I'll see them.

Go ahead you EV loving maggots flame away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News