ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on AK and the fate of our bball program

stevensga22

Pre-season Playboy All-America Selection
May 24, 2006
AK is as good of a coach as we can ask for. The simple answer is he doesn't have the players he needs to be successful. Hopefully the new arena will help in recruiting. Hopefully another trip to the NCAA will help improve his resume with recruits. Having said that, this team does not deserve to make the NCAA. We have progressively gotten worse in the last two weeks.

We're ok on defense. At times, we're very good. At times we're awful, especially with rebounding. Saiz is weak. He needs to get way more aggressive and improve his offense.

Offensively, our passing is a complete joke. Not just because of last night. It's like we have tunnel vision. Also, our ball-handling is at an all time low. It seems Summers has regressed since he's been at OM. I like the fact that AK allows his teams the green light to shoot, but when you're as cold as we were last night, you have to move the ball and get high percentage shots, which means within 4 feet of the goal, not 4 feet beyond the 3pt line with someone in your face. In half court sets, our bigs have little to no presence at all. All our opponents have to do is double Moody and play perimeter defense because our bigs are no threat.

We execute screens as poorly as anyone in the country. I didn't see one well executed screen last night. When we did we either passed it away or the player receiving it didn't handle it well.

AK may be to blame on some of this, but I assure you that the biggest problem are the players not executing. I hope we don't make the NCAA so we don't embarrass ourselves.

My unrealistic advice: Take every bit of money we have allocated for basketball, give it to football and baseball, let AK find a better job, use the new arena for girls volleyball, concerts, and Parade of Beauties....let's move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News