ADVERTISEMENT

NBC's Big Saturday Night, is it a threat to the SEC-ESPN?

Rebel822

Five-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2020
Recently NBC has begun running promos for it's 'NBC Big Saturday Night' games for this fall. They look very similar to 'Football Night in America Promos/Games' for the NFL that have been very successful. Being an over the air broadcast network and with the Big 10 footprint they promise to be big ratings events for the fall season. (NBC and the Big 10 are still in negotiations over the matchups for the broadcasts, NBC obviously wants marquee matchup games, think Ohio State-Penn State and the like and not Purdue-Rutgers,, and there is some pushback from the league having late night games in November from the likes of Ann Arbor or Minnesota etc.,,, that's one thing that will be helped when USC-UCLA come into the league, night games from the West Coast late in the year would be better for the fans at least. And also after this year, CBS gets the first pick since the Big 10 will have that time slot at 2:30pm now that SEC is out at that network (CBS) in 2024 and will have it's 2:30pm game on ABC.
This year The Big 10 is going to stream 8 games I think on Friday nights on the Peacock Service. (that''s where you will see Indiana-Northwestern probably)
The SEC has hitched it's wagon to ESPN /ABC, which I think is fine here in the Southeast but I'm not so sure that the SEC will fall behind the Big 10 in viewers around the rest of the country.
Everyone knows that the SEC would not want to stomach being the '2nd' place league to the Big 10. Next weeks spring meetings will probably be interesting. One media member spoke to a SEC AD who said that concerning any conference expansion that he didn't believe any of the ACC schools that have shown interest (FSU-Clemson) would help in getting a larger amount of revenue from ESPN/ABC. I think the SEC's feeling now is let the FSU-Miami-Clemson group die on the vine if the ACC crumbles) The only one that would would be Notre Dame. While it's debatable whether they really fit the league he thought a full scale press on Notre Dame should take place, one for what they would bring to the conference in viewership/status and 2nd to keep them from joining the Big 10 where it would probably be over then as to who the dominate conference going forward would be. Notre Dame has asked for $75 mil from NBC for their rights and they would get that or maybe a little more from the SEC. Surprisingly there is some opposition from a few schools in the Big 10 in adding ND (Michigan for one).
The next 90 days or so will tell the tale I think if there is any more conference scuffling to take place anytime soon. The ACC schools are very restless/unhappy,,, but if they can get 8 teams to break up the conference they could end the grant of rights (and I think Notre Dame has a vote in that),,, but some of those teams have to have a place to go and they may not currently

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News