ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban vs Hugh Freeze

RebReb

Two-Star Prospect
Apr 19, 2002
Saban went 9-2 at Toledo before going 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 in his first four years at Michigan State. He went to 3 bowls - the Independence Bowl, the Sun Bowl, and the Aloha Bowl - and lost all 3. I doubt he took over the same level of disaster at Michigan State that Freeze took over here. He also was not playing in the SECW.

We have a phenomenal coach and should appreciate it. Anybody who comes out whining about coaching anytime something goes wrong needs to get a grip and try not to say or post anything until the moment passes.

We honestly may have the best coach on the planet as he has clearly started off better than the coach everyone says is the best. Time will tell.

Saban went 9-2 at Toledo before going 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 in his first four years at Michigan State. He went to 3 bowls - the Independence Bowl, the Sun Bowl, and the Aloha Bowl - and lost all 3. I doubt he took over the same level of disaster at Michigan State that Freeze took over here. He also was not playing in the SECW.

We have a phenomenal coach and should appreciate it. Anybody who comes out whining about coaching anytime something goes wrong needs to get a grip and try not to say or post anything until the moment passes.

We honestly may have the best coach on the planet as he has clearly started off better than the coach everyone says is the best. Time will tell.
Somewhere during his tenure he played Florida coached Steve Superior and won (if I am not badly mistaken).

In such short time. And it's getting even better! Great post!

Reactions: allreb44
W

Whoaaaaaa there, horsey. Freeze is a great recruiter, but let's get an SEC championship before we annoint him as the next John Vaught. He had that championship in his hand and it slipped out. We had a very good season, but we still had head-scratchers against Memphis and Florida.
That said, overall I'm liking what I'm seeing from him so far. You are right: Time will tell.

Reactions: Fishing123

Ole Freeze will keep doing good till the cheating catches up with him. After 50 years of being a doormat with no outstanding academics, no way Ole Miss should be reeling in these top recruits, some committing without a campus visit. Lots of people suspect palm greasing is going on. Just sayin.

Looks like something I'd read over on SixPackSpeak. Jealousy can consume a person even in sports. I think Freeze is an excellent coach and a fine man, lots of young men and their folks agree.

Ole Freeze will keep doing good till the cheating catches up with him. After 50 years of being a doormat with no outstanding academics, no way Ole Miss should be reeling in these top recruits, some committing without a campus visit. Lots of people suspect palm greasing is going on. Just sayin.

Where in the HELL did you get the idea Ole Miss provides no outstanding academics? I know it does! What do you know? If you would like to unfairly criticize, find another board. It's OK to be critical, but PLEASE know what you're talking about! The NCAA has investigated us and found nothing. Such accusations get old, Manafold!

Who the hell is this Manafold. What school do you claim. Alabama paid $150,000 for a tackle from Memphis. Auburn paid $$ for Cam Newton. $tate almost bought him. The minute a school like Ole Miss gets a good coach and does well they are cheating. Nice to hide behind a dumb A$$ name. Manafold. How long did it take you to come up with that one? Or did you sister/wife come up with it??

Who the hell is this Manafold. What school do you claim. Alabama paid $150,000 for a tackle from Memphis. Auburn paid $$ for Cam Newton. $tate almost bought him. The minute a school like Ole Miss gets a good coach and does well they are cheating. Nice to hide behind a dumb A$$ name. Manafold. How long did it take you to come up with that one? Or did you sister/wife come up with it??
Sorry you got your panties in a wad but anyone looking at the Ole Miss past records and recruiting classes has to wonder how it came to be. Ole MISS is a good school but not one to draw top recruits from far away because of an academic reputation like Stanford. For the good of the SEC and college football one certainly would hope everything concerning Rebel recruiting is above board but right now it looks a little fishy and believe me, I'm not the only one thinking hanky panky might be going on. Whatever, the whole truth will prevail in the end .

Sorry you got your panties in a wad but anyone looking at the Ole Miss past records and recruiting classes has to wonder how it came to be. Ole MISS is a good school but not one to draw top recruits from far away because of an academic reputation like Stanford. For the good of the SEC and college football one certainly would hope everything concerning Rebel recruiting is above board but right now it looks a little fishy and believe me, I'm not the only one thinking hanky panky might be going on. Whatever, the whole truth will prevail in the end .

I think it's MANAFOLD who has her panties in a wad or she wouldn't be on here being a crybaby. She still hasn't identified her team, so they must be real shitty. Most likely Mith'ippi 'tate.

I talk to carburetor and flywheel and brake lining and they said she (manifold) was full of $hit. Just what is your team??

Last edited:

The NCAA agrees with the fast start Rev Freeze has had. A little TOO fast IYKWIM.

Well this post was certainly prophetic....

Well this post was certainly prophetic....
Ghost, there's very little prophecy here. Our recruiting was pretty strong-#7 in the country, which is nothing to sneeze at. This class is not at all indicative of cheating. If it were, very few would have signed. Furthermore, Coach Freeze was not the problem. It was mainly Nutt. Not sure what Manafold meant by "no outstanding academics," then perhaps he meant players not going to class. Coach Freeze makes sure his players go to class. Tunsil is another issue. After being suspended 7 games to satisfy the NCAA, he was allowed to play. Perhaps this was a mistake or misunderstanding of NCAA doctrine, but rest assured Coach Freeze would not allow him to do so if he were ineligible. Certainly wasn't intentional. Ghost, think like a laser beam. I showed you logic, did so before. If you want to post, fine, but be more educated. And quit the hatred for Ole Miss!

Ghost, there's very little prophecy here. Our recruiting was pretty strong-#7 in the country, which is nothing to sneeze at. This class is not at all indicative of cheating. If it were, very few would have signed. Furthermore, Coach Freeze was not the problem. It was mainly Nutt. Not sure what Manafold meant by "no outstanding academics," then perhaps he meant players not going to class. Coach Freeze makes sure his players go to class. Tunsil is another issue. After being suspended 7 games to satisfy the NCAA, he was allowed to play. Perhaps this was a mistake or misunderstanding of NCAA doctrine, but rest assured Coach Freeze would not allow him to do so if he were ineligible. Certainly wasn't intentional. Ghost, think like a laser beam. I showed you logic, did so before. If you want to post, fine, but be more educated. And quit the hatred for Ole Miss!

Larry...You're arguing with the chess playing, pigeon.

Larry...You're arguing with the chess playing, pigeon.
Yeah, probably right, RebelsAdvocate. But I am trying to get him to focus, and it may be futile. One more fact Ghost needs to know, though, if he's not doping. Tunsil's suspension of 7 games was instigated BY the NCAA, but then after, he can participate once again-the TAM game. The NCAA stated that he would be eligible during this game. We did our job in complying, for God's sake! This is via bleacherreport.com, espn.com, and olemisssports.com as well. I've got plenty of proof about Tunsil and Nutt, if you want more, and I'll stick it to you like an Ole Miss Rebel!

For those most familiar with the Ole Miss program the resurrection of the program is not such a surprise. After Vaught the program suffered the terms of some rather weak Athletic Directors that possessed little vision, nor the commitment to the development of the program. Our facilities and coaching salaries lagged behind other programs in the SEC. Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. . . continued the arms race holding up the banner of the conference. We, on the other hand, decided to drop out satisfying our hunger by simply keeping just a step ahead of Mississippi State. Pete Boone, our previous AD was a penny pincher that restricted the football staff the use of the university jet and other amenities used by virtually every other program in the conference. It was not until Ross B. became our new A.D. that the football HC had the support to actually conduct recruiting on par with our SEC brethren.
Oxford has continually been rated by national publications as one of America's best small towns and the gameday atmosphere is second to none. Student life is also very special. There are many points to sell on becoming a student athlete at Ole Miss. So don't be surprised if in fact we don't actually use illegal inducements. Also don't underestimate Hugh Freeze on his genuine fatherly persona. That is something that many of these kids quietly long for.

Reactions: Reblarry

Larry, the NOA from the NCAA wasn't made public until the Friday before NSD by Yahoo. From that time till NSD, you lost the following recruits who were thought by most 'experts' to be either locks or at least leans to Ole Miss:

4-star Nigel Knott
4-star Shy Carter
5-star Jeffrey Simmons
5-star Jonathan Kongbo

Losing those recruits kept Ole Miss from getting the #1 class. That's how badly the NOA from the NCAA hurt Ole Miss, and it's exactly why Freeze tried to bury the letter till after NSD, because he knew what would happen if it was made public.

As for the rest of your claims that Freeze wasn't the problem, it was Nutt, that Freeze makes his players go to class, etc, you have no way of knowing any of that. As a homer Ole Miss fan you want to believe, but then again you wanted to believe that Ole Miss was never going to hear from the NCAA at all.

How did that work out?

Here's the FACTS:

1 - The NCAA has already investigated Ole Miss and felt so strongly that multiple athletic programs were committing rules violations that it sent the school a Notice of Allegations. The NCAA does not send out a NOA lightly. If it sends this out, it can prove its allegations. For example, aubarn did NOT receive a NOA over Cam Newton's recruitment. The NCAA strongly believed that both aubarn and Miss State had been involved in a scheme to buy Cam, but since the NCAA didn't have actual proof of a transaction, it could not send a NOA. It could send Ole Miss a NOA, so that tells you the NCAA has the goods on Ole Miss.

2 - Houston Nutt claims he has not received a letter from the NCAA in regards to the Ole Miss investigation. This is key, because if the majority of the allegations against the Ole Miss football team were centered on his staff, he would have received a letter from the NCAA.

3 - Ole Miss has already admitted to violations concerning Laramy Tunsil and suspended him for multiple games. We'll see if the NCAA accepts that or not. However it's worth noting that fans questioned if there were violations concerning Tunsil for years, and we were told by Ole Miss fans that there were not. You were proven wrong about this as well.

This news isn't a surprise to any college football fan. Multiple times since Hugh Freeze has arrived in Oxford, and especially in the 2013 recruiting cycle, highly-recruited players were thought to be leaning to a Top 10 program, only to commit to Ole Miss right before NSD, despite having never shown any serious interest in Ole Miss previously. Ole Miss fans would like to think otherwise, but there's no logical reason why 5-stars would consistently turn down offers from blue chip programs like Alabama, USC, Georgia, Michigan and Texas to attend Ole Miss. It just does not pass the smell test.

And the NCAA agrees.

In closing, Larry let me just tell you that it looks very bad for Ole Miss. I'll leave it at that for now. This isn't the last you will hear from the NCAA. If you want to bury your head in the sand and blindly believe Freeze, that's your choice.

Larry, the NOA from the NCAA wasn't made public until the Friday before NSD by Yahoo. From that time till NSD, you lost the following recruits who were thought by most 'experts' to be either locks or at least leans to Ole Miss:

4-star Nigel Knott
4-star Shy Carter
5-star Jeffrey Simmons
5-star Jonathan Kongbo

Losing those recruits kept Ole Miss from getting the #1 class. That's how badly the NOA from the NCAA hurt Ole Miss, and it's exactly why Freeze tried to bury the letter till after NSD, because he knew what would happen if it was made public.

As for the rest of your claims that Freeze wasn't the problem, it was Nutt, that Freeze makes his players go to class, etc, you have no way of knowing any of that. As a homer Ole Miss fan you want to believe, but then again you wanted to believe that Ole Miss was never going to hear from the NCAA at all.

How did that work out?

Here's the FACTS:

1 - The NCAA has already investigated Ole Miss and felt so strongly that multiple athletic programs were committing rules violations that it sent the school a Notice of Allegations. The NCAA does not send out a NOA lightly. If it sends this out, it can prove its allegations. For example, aubarn did NOT receive a NOA over Cam Newton's recruitment. The NCAA strongly believed that both aubarn and Miss State had been involved in a scheme to buy Cam, but since the NCAA didn't have actual proof of a transaction, it could not send a NOA. It could send Ole Miss a NOA, so that tells you the NCAA has the goods on Ole Miss.

2 - Houston Nutt claims he has not received a letter from the NCAA in regards to the Ole Miss investigation. This is key, because if the majority of the allegations against the Ole Miss football team were centered on his staff, he would have received a letter from the NCAA.

3 - Ole Miss has already admitted to violations concerning Laramy Tunsil and suspended him for multiple games. We'll see if the NCAA accepts that or not. However it's worth noting that fans questioned if there were violations concerning Tunsil for years, and we were told by Ole Miss fans that there were not. You were proven wrong about this as well.

This news isn't a surprise to any college football fan. Multiple times since Hugh Freeze has arrived in Oxford, and especially in the 2013 recruiting cycle, highly-recruited players were thought to be leaning to a Top 10 program, only to commit to Ole Miss right before NSD, despite having never shown any serious interest in Ole Miss previously. Ole Miss fans would like to think otherwise, but there's no logical reason why 5-stars would consistently turn down offers from blue chip programs like Alabama, USC, Georgia, Michigan and Texas to attend Ole Miss. It just does not pass the smell test.

And the NCAA agrees.

In closing, Larry let me just tell you that it looks very bad for Ole Miss. I'll leave it at that for now. This isn't the last you will hear from the NCAA. If you want to bury your head in the sand and blindly believe Freeze, that's your choice.

1. Crybaby bammer boy fries chickens for the Colonel.
2. Crybaby bammer boy never attended any university.
3. Crybaby bammer boy is a t shirt bammer alumnus.
[roll]

4-star Nigel Knott
4-star Shy Carter
5-star Jeffrey Simmons
5-star Jonathan Kongbo

How did that work out?

Here's the FACTS:

And the NCAA agrees.

Not burying my head at all. If we are guilty, then we have to serve up. I get it. I just go by what I've read. Only 3 allegations placed on the football team? Menial, but Ok, I get your response. I highly doubt Freeze would hide any allegations. And, yes, he does check that players go to class-maybe not all-but if they don't go, they are penalized. Relatives in Oxford keep up with Coach Freeze. They are just as concerned as anyone. Press releases-they don't lie. Ghost, he's a great person, with a terrific coaching staff, chastise all you want, but there is not as much there as meets the eye. And thanks for a more serious response. Where do you get your info.? Did you read Hightower's post? A bad smell test does NOT bring in a #7 ranking in the country.

Last edited:
For those most familiar with the Ole Miss program the resurrection of the program is not such a surprise. After Vaught the program suffered the terms of some rather weak Athletic Directors that possessed little vision, nor the commitment to the development of the program. Our facilities and coaching salaries lagged behind other programs in the SEC. Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. . . continued the arms race holding up the banner of the conference. We, on the other hand, decided to drop out satisfying our hunger by simply keeping just a step ahead of Mississippi State. Pete Boone, our previous AD was a penny pincher that restricted the football staff the use of the university jet and other amenities used by virtually every other program in the conference. It was not until Ross B. became our new A.D. that the football HC had the support to actually conduct recruiting on par with our SEC brethren.
Oxford has continually been rated by national publications as one of America's best small towns and the gameday atmosphere is second to none. Student life is also very special. There are many points to sell on becoming a student athlete at Ole Miss. So don't be surprised if in fact we don't actually use illegal inducements. Also don't underestimate Hugh Freeze on his genuine fatherly persona. That is something that many of these kids quietly long for.
Well said, sir!!! Ghost, did you read this?

Not burying my head at all. If we are guilty, then we have to serve up. I get it. I just go by what I've read.

That's the problem. You are only getting your information about this story from pro-Ole Miss websites. Sites such as this have a vested interest in spinning that this is nothing and it only involves women's basketball.

As for the spin that a #7 class proves you weren't cheating....ummmm....you do remember that this class was #4 heading into NSD, right? So you went BACKWARDS on NSD.

Why? Because guys like Shy Carter, Jonathan Kongbo and Jeffrey Simmons were scared off by the NCAA investigation. Otherwise, you get those guys and walk to the #1 class.

Which Alabama got. Without cheating.

That's the problem. You are only getting your information about this story from pro-Ole Miss websites. Sites such as this have a vested interest in spinning that this is nothing and it only involves women's basketball.

As for the spin that a #7 class proves you weren't cheating....ummmm....you do remember that this class was #4 heading into NSD, right? So you went BACKWARDS on NSD.

Why? Because guys like Shy Carter, Jonathan Kongbo and Jeffrey Simmons were scared off by the NCAA investigation. Otherwise, you get those guys and walk to the #1 class.

Poor wittle crybaby bammer boy is hallucinating. His little brain is saturated with grease from years of frying chickens for the Colonel. [roll]

Actually, most of my info. comes from bleacherreport.com, rivals.com, espn, 247.com, and yes, olemisssports.com coaching reports. But I asked you the same thing. You never told me about your sources. You're right, it was obvious those guys were scared off. Knew that from the beginning. But then again, the prospects we did sign still are impressive. They could have gone elsewhere-and that's curious-why didn't they if we cheated?

Last edited:
Actually, most of my info. comes from bleacherreport.com, rivals.com, espn, 247.com, and yes, olemisssports.com coaching reports. But I asked you the same thing. You never told me about your sources. You're right, it was obvious those guys were scared off. Knew that from the beginning. But then again, the prospects we did sign still are impressive. They could have gone elsewhere-and that's curious-why didn't they if we cheated?

IOW you pick and choose which writers you believe in, the ones with the pro-Ole Miss slant. I get it.

Here's what I believe: Common sense. Ole Miss says there is nothing to the NOA, yet they tried to hide it, and refuse to release it publicly. That tells me they are lying about the severity of the document.

Second, Houston Nutt says the NCAA has not contacted him regarding the Ole Miss investigation. That's another red flag, because if Ole Miss was telling the truth about this mostly being about Nutt and not Freeze, the NCAA would have targetted Houston, who could still coach again.

The fact that Ole Miss tried to hide the NOA from recruits and are dragging their feet to respond to FOIA requests from the media suggests how bad it is.

It also suggests that this is just the beginning, not the end.

IOW you pick and choose which writers you believe in, the ones with the pro-Ole Miss slant. I get it.

Here's what I believe: Common sense. Ole Miss says there is nothing to the NOA, yet they tried to hide it, and refuse to release it publicly. That tells me they are lying about the severity of the document.

Second, Houston Nutt says the NCAA has not contacted him regarding the Ole Miss investigation. That's another red flag, because if Ole Miss was telling the truth about this mostly being about Nutt and not Freeze, the NCAA would have targetted Houston, who could still coach again.

The fact that Ole Miss tried to hide the NOA from recruits and are dragging their feet to respond to FOIA requests from the media suggests how bad it is.

It also suggests that this is just the beginning, not the end.
Where does anyone say Ole Miss tried to hide the NOA? I've read nothing on that, and what I have read are just sports websites, not favoring Ole Miss. All stories on this DO in fact point to past transgressions with the previous coaching staff. This is NOT Ole Miss stating that-it's the previous websites I cited before. It's still early in the investigation, Ghost, so let's don't jump ahead and conclude Nutt won't be investigated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any previous coaching staff being scrutinized by an NCAA investigation at their new college. That UNC coach comes to mind.

Where does anyone say Ole Miss tried to hide the NOA? I've read nothing on that, and what I have read are just sports websites, not favoring Ole Miss. All stories on this DO in fact point to past transgressions with the previous coaching staff. This is NOT Ole Miss stating that-it's the previous websites I cited before. It's still early in the investigation, Ghost, so let's don't jump ahead and conclude Nutt won't be investigated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any previous coaching staff being scrutinized by an NCAA investigation at their new college. That UNC coach comes to mind.

Common sense tells us. They had the NOA for at least 2 weeks before the Yahoo story, now it's up to 3 weeks.

Why haven't they shown it to the public? It's pretty obvious even to a homer Ole Miss fan that they don't want to.

As for previous coaching staffs being scrutinized at a new job, it just happened with the Tennessee basketball coach, he was hired by UT then came out he was under investigation for his time at Southern Miss. I believe UT ended up having to fire him and hire Barnes.

Nutt might end up being investigated, but by the NCAA sending Ole Miss a letter and not Nutt, that logically indicates that the problem is Ole Miss moreso than it is Nutt.

Next step is Ole Miss will be legally required to make the NOA public, possibly as early as Monday.

Common sense tells us. They had the NOA for at least 2 weeks before the Yahoo story, now it's up to 3 weeks.

Why haven't they shown it to the public? It's pretty obvious even to a homer Ole Miss fan that they don't want to.

As for previous coaching staffs being scrutinized at a new job, it just happened with the Tennessee basketball coach, he was hired by UT then came out he was under investigation for his time at Southern Miss. I believe UT ended up having to fire him and hire Barnes.

Nutt might end up being investigated, but by the NCAA sending Ole Miss a letter and not Nutt, that logically indicates that the problem is Ole Miss moreso than it is Nutt.

Next step is Ole Miss will be legally required to make the NOA public, possibly as early as Monday.
Ok, let's wait and see. If Coach Freeze is lying, he has so much to lose-including his job, and fans, his great reputation! NOT HAPPENING! Like what happened to SMU, but worse. Yeah, not sure about Barnes, but the UNC deal. Now that's much more deserving of an investigation than Ole Miss. Funny very little said. Not being a homey. Just. . . common sense.

Last edited:
Ok, let's wait and see. If Coach Freeze is lying, he has so much to lose-including his job, and fans, his great reputation! NOT HAPPENING! Like what happened to SMU, but worse. Yeah, not sure about Barnes, but the UNC deal. Now that's much more deserving of an investigation than Ole Miss. Funny very little said. Not being a homey. Just. . . common sense.

It will be more spin from Oxford and the fans will lap it up.

Reminder: The Ole Miss investigation has already gone further than the Cam Newton investigation did. And everyone knows Auburn and Miss State paid for him.

Reminder: The Ole Miss investigation has already gone further than the Cam Newton investigation did. And everyone knows Auburn and Miss State paid for him.

Don't believe the writers and their sources, believe the chicken frying t shirt fan from mudhole, alabammer...Right, crybaby bammer boy? [roll]

Spin from Oxford? Come on, Ghost! My sources are NOT from Ole Miss homers. I said nothing about Cam Newton. Your sources ,sir. Where are you gong dude?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT