ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss beats LSU (and covers) if... from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
I am home this week on leave and bored to death so I thought I would start a conversation about what it will take to beat LSU Saturday night (score more points, I know). Here are some key points that I think must happen if we are going to win.

Offensively

1. We must run for at least 100 yards. Anything over 100 yards should open up the passing game enough for us to score the necessary points to win. LSU will be without Harold Perkins Jr. so this should be an attainable goal. Hopefully, Henry Parrish Jr. will be able to go. If not, I doubt we get to this number, unless a certain guy who contributed mightily in this game last year is unleashed (finally).

2. We need Tre Harris to play. I have said it all year, he is a cheat code. The current rumor is that he will go. I certainly hope so and I hope that he is near 100% of his usual self. If so, we will be in good shape. If he can't go, Juice Wells and Jordan Watkins must step up and fill the void.

3. We must hit some deep balls down the field. Jaxson Dart has a chance to present himself to the nation as the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy. If he is 70% or better on balls 15-25 yards, and 50% on balls over 25 yards, we win.

4. We must establish the LOS and be able to impose our will when everyone knows we are going to run the ball. Diego Pounds must have a solid game at LT and the OL in general must keep the pocket clean for JD.

Defensively

1. Our DL must establish dominance on the LOS. Walter Nolen must consistently command a double team and JJ must take advantage of it to close off interior running lanes. If we can make them one-dimensional, I like the potential of Jared Ivey and Suntarine Perkins harassing their QB, forcing hurries, and getting sacks.

2. TJ Dottery must be disruptive and make LSU backs look for him when turning upfield. A big play or two by Chris Paul and/or Khari Coleman would be nice too.

3. Our secondary must get aligned properly and take good angles to the ball (LBs too). We don't have to win this position battle, but we can't get dominated in it and expect to win. LSU has several playmakers that are capable of making a big play at any time. Alignment/assignment by the secondary will be critical.

4. We need to have at least 3 deflected passes, 3 sacks, 3 pass breakups, a forced fumble (recovering it would be nice), and an INT by our defense as a whole. Oh, and no more than 5 penalties with only one of the 15-yard variety.

Special Teams

1. Convert all expected kick makes and be ready to deliver a boost with a big kick if necessary. Kick every kickoff in the endzone.

2. Average at least 45 yards (net) on punts, and have at least 50% of punts start LSU inside the 20.

3. Make one big play in Special Teams. a punt block would be nice.

Prediction

We do enough of these bullet points, in some positive combination, to win 34-24 in a game that isn't as close as the final score. These are my thoughts, share yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.