ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss fans - offense?

LSUwiggz

Rookie
May 29, 2001
I was curious about something - I've been talking to some OM guys and browsing the various internet boards and all I see are grievances over the defense... that's certainly understandable, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion regarding the performance of LSU's defense under Aranda against OM's high-scoring offense. Think about this:

Once LSU made adjustments after Ole Miss' initial scoring drives' they looked like this:

3 plays, 2 yards
3 plays, 13 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
3 plays, 0 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
5 plays, 12 yards
3 plays, 7 yards
4 plays, 7 yards

I would think that getting shut out in the second half would be at least as alarming as the defense's woes... why isn't it getting much discussion, if any?

Reactions: Fishing123
I was curious about something - I've been talking to some OM guys and browsing the various internet boards and all I see are grievances over the defense... that's certainly understandable, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion regarding the performance of LSU's defense under Aranda against OM's high-scoring offense. Think about this:

Once LSU made adjustments after Ole Miss' initial scoring drives' they looked like this:

3 plays, 2 yards
3 plays, 13 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
3 plays, 0 yards
3 plays, 9 yards
5 plays, 12 yards
3 plays, 7 yards
4 plays, 7 yards

I would think that getting shut out in the second half would be at least as alarming as the defense's woes... why isn't it getting much discussion, if any?
Oh, it's getting attention among fans, Paul Finebaum, and Supertalk Mississippi, believe me. Our players gave out on Freeze. Extremely disappointing. Remember Jevan Snead? Same thing. He quit playing during his senior year-quit playing for the fans and coaches. Kelly is the same. Why? Dunno. Gay just decommitted. When it rains, it pours. OM is a beautiful place, I love it, but something always happens.

This is what happens when you cant and/or wont run the ball. When defenses know youre going to pass 70% of the time they can pin back and rush the QB. Hugh Freeze continues you disappoint with the play calling and lack of any development in the run games for years.

Reactions: Fishing123
This is what happens when you cant and/or wont run the ball. When defenses know youre going to pass 70% of the time they can pin back and rush the QB. Hugh Freeze continues you disappoint with the play calling and lack of any development in the run games for years.
Exactly! Very disappointing, and I've been saying that all along. The OL is a glaring weakness. Defense-we need LBs desperately. And we don't need players who crap out on us. From the beginning, I criticized our desire and discipline! Players getting in trouble with the law. Well, damn, wouldn't you know it! Take those damned troublemakers and KICK THEM OFF THE TEAM! They're not trainable!

To be fair, you guys absolutely lit up Alabama so your OL can't be that lacking... did you notice any adjustments LSU made? As fans sometimes it seems our teams are playing in a vacuum, only succeeding or failing based on what THE did

I was pleased that we managed to limit Engram to just 3 catches and 15 yards.

Auburn seems to be peaking, what do you think happens next weekend?

To be fair, you guys absolutely lit up Alabama so your OL can't be that lacking... did you notice any adjustments LSU made? As fans sometimes it seems our teams are playing in a vacuum, only succeeding or failing based on what THE did

Exactly. They have the talent to win, so it must be the coaching and preparation. Right, Lyman?

Hell, you really care? Keep Orgeron-great advice there.

LSU doubled on Engram and went man on every other WR. LSU had the personnel to do it. Kelly had no one to throw to and not enough time to go through all his progressions. Kudos to LSU's defensive backfield. Kelly hasn't been as accurate as he was last year either. He's missed some wide open receivers that would have been TD's last year. Our running game will never be very good unless we commit to it. O linemen don't know whether we are passing or running on every play. We confuse the defense but confuse our O linemen too. Last year Kelly threw 11 TD's when running plays were called from the sideline. That's the nature of our read-option offense. We never have a two back set so we never have a blocking back/fullback to take out a LB. Also, Engram is not a good blocker. No TE on our roaster can block. Freeze will have to make adjustments next year if he wants to run the ball. On defense there is nothing wrong except the heart of our defense graduated or left early. The replacements are young or just not as good as the ones they replaced.

Hey Ranch, Do you think the coaches should have played Patterson some this year in order to prepare him for next season? I realize that one hates to burn a redshirt but a young defense and a freshman QB isn't usually a good situation. Thoughts?

Hey Ranch, Do you think the coaches should have played Patterson some this year in order to prepare him for next season? I realize that one hates to burn a redshirt but a young defense and a freshman QB isn't usually a good situation. Thoughts?

No. Patterson isn't ready. Kelly is better. Don't discount Pellerin. He's a player. He has a stronger arm than Patterson. Would not be shocked if we went to a 2 QB system next year.

LSU doubled on Engram and went man on every other WR. LSU had the personnel to do it. Kelly had no one to throw to and not enough time to go through all his progressions. Kudos to LSU's defensive backfield. Kelly hasn't been as accurate as he was last year either. He's missed some wide open receivers that would have been TD's last year. Our running game will never be very good unless we commit to it. O linemen don't know whether we are passing or running on every play. We confuse the defense but confuse our O linemen too. Last year Kelly threw 11 TD's when running plays were called from the sideline. That's the nature of our read-option offense. We never have a two back set so we never have a blocking back/fullback to take out a LB. Also, Engram is not a good blocker. No TE on our roaster can block. Freeze will have to make adjustments next year if he wants to run the ball. On defense there is nothing wrong except the heart of our defense graduated or left early. The replacements are young or just not as good as the ones they replaced.
Ugh... the Saints have shown us what a prolific passing attack that can't run the ball will get you - lots of yards, lots of points and only a handful of wins.

Ugh... the Saints have shown us what a prolific passing attack that can't run the ball will get you - lots of yards, lots of points and only a handful of wins.

Fact is and always will be: defense wins championships. Hate to say it but Nutt's staff recruited more quality defensive players than this staff. Four players off last year's defense are in the NFL now. Three were signed by Nutt's staff and if Nutt had not signed Denzel Nkemdiche Freeze would have never gotten Robert.

Fact is and always will be: defense wins championships. Hate to say it but Nutt's staff recruited more quality defensive players than this staff. Four players off last year's defense are in the NFL now. Three were signed by Nutt's staff and if Nutt had not signed Denzel Nkemdiche Freeze would have never gotten Robert.
Yeah, I remember how badly Robert wanted to come to LSU and the parents stepped in hard. Always regretted that.

He was his own worst problem in spite of what school he chose. He can barely get into the DL rotation with the Cardinals. Proved to be a druggy.
It was my understanding that one of the reasons that the parents were so adamant that he attend OM was so that his brother could keep a close eye on him - or was that the other way around?

It was my understanding that one of the reasons that the parents were so adamant that he attend OM was so that his brother could keep a close eye on him - or was that the other way around?

I heard it was because the smell of booze and corndogs made them sick smelling it before 10 am

Yeah, I remember how badly Robert wanted to come to LSU and the parents stepped in hard. Always regretted that.

Yeah, he had to do what his mom promised Nutt he'd do. She promised Nutt that if he gave Denzel a scholarship Robert would follow. Had Nutt not been fired Denzel was ready to transfer though. Robert loved his visit to LSU. Especially when he "accidently" ran into Shaq. Both of the Nkemdiche brothers' biggest problem was their older brother who hung out with them in Oxford. He steered them into trouble, especially Denzel.

I have no problem admitting my coach isn't doing his job this year. You could learn to do the same.

Well, the SEC Least is terrible and to lose to any other team in the Least means you are not a good team. The teams Ole Miss lost to would win the Least, including Arkansas. I posted here weeks ago Tennessee would not finish higher than 4th in the West and possibly as low as 6th. Any given year you can put 6 SEC West team names in a hat and pull them out one by one and list them and that is the order the West could end in, 2 through 7. Leave Bama's name out and just go ahead and put them #1. Every year in the West we have a surprise team on the winning side and a surprise team on the losing side. We were the former last year and the year before. We were the latter this year. All other six teams go up and down every year. Next year, except for Miss State the teams in the West could flip flop in the standings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT