ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: On the weekend rotation...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
I think I see why Ole Miss went with three right-handers this weekend against South Carolina after looking at the splits. It's a similar thing he did with starters against Alabama last weekend.

In SEC games, Carolina is hitting .184 against right-handers and .305 against lefties. That's a ridiculous split, though it's worth noting the Gamecocks have more than twice as many at-bats against right-handers. Frankly, they just aren't very good offensively. In the 14 offensive categories, Carolina ranked 12-14 in 11 of the 14 and is dead last in eight of them.

In all games, there's a difference but it's not as severe: .291 against lefties and .255 versus righties.

I'm curious about DeLucia from the standpoint of whether he's sharp as a starter. It's possible he just needs to start and doesn't need to relieve. I really don't understand last week when he was the first person out of the bullpen but he didn't start. It didn't make sense.

With Derek Diamond, his splits the first time through the order versus batters after that are startling. I actually get starting him, but Mike needs to get him out of there after a time through the order. I know he hates saying anyone is an opener, but it's the prime opportunity for that. Don't get greedy.

I don't really understand the Hunter Elliott situation. Elliott has been fine in both his starts. He didn't allow an earned run in more than four innings versus UK and last weekend he got out of the first without it unraveling and he gets through the third if the Rebels catch a pop up. He threw 32 of 49 pitches for strikes against Alabama. But Mike said he wasn't good enough after both games and he said he didn't throw enough strikes against the Tide. The stats don't say that. I really think Elliott hit those two batters in the first and it convinced Mike he was wilder than he actually was.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.