ADVERTISEMENT

OT: any silver coin collectors?

kernelrebel

All-Pro NFL
Jun 2, 2017
I’m not a “world coming to an end” person or “prepper” is what I guess they call it. But I had a depression era grandfather who was a coin collector. Mostly the more common Morgan and Peace dollars and other junk silver he slowly gathered from pawn shops and flea markets in the 70s and 80s. My dad picked it up as well, but he had less disposable income and I enjoyed it as a kid. I will still buy up any junk silver I see around at decent prices. I have inherited the entire collection, which is about 4,000 of mostly Morgan and Peace dollars.

All this to say, the darn things have completely vanished. If you can find them, the markup is ridiculous ($10-12 above spot) for what we called “junk”. I’ve never seen it like this. My assumption is Internet coin dealers have cornered the market. I just wondered if RG had any collectors out there seeing the same thing. It was a great hobby I’ve actually made a decent ROI with…better than baseball cards of the era. There’s just something about a 100+ year old coin that’s always fascinated me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News