ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dad’s first trip to The Pavilion

JXNreb16

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2018
Austin, TX
First off, let me apologize as this is way off topic.

Anyway, Saturday will be my dad’s first trip to The Pavilion. As a Christmas present, I offered dad tickets to any remaining home game this season. Naturally, he picked Saturday so we could “double dip” and catch the first part of the baseball game. We’ve split season tickets in Sec. 31 for the last 3 years for baseball, but this is is especially cool for me, because this is the first time I’ve been able to treat my dad to a game.

A little back story... (sorry if the post runs long)
My dad graduated in ‘82 and I followed behind him, graduating in 2016. My love for OM started early, thanks to him. We had season tickets for football growing up. One of my first memories with dad is watching Duece throw that TD to Romero, in the midst of snow flurries, on a flea-flicker in the Egg Bowl. I remember Jessie Mitchell pruessuing the Florida QB (I think it was Grossman) in the endzone right in front of our seats, eventually drawing a holding call and granting the Rebs a safety. As a young kid, I too stormed the field that afternoon we upset the Florida Gators, although I never managed to get more than 10 yards from the fence before my dad yelled at me to get back.

Dad and I have driven home after many tough losses. I cried the 2 1/2 hours back to Jackson after we lost to Arkansas in 7 OT. After the Texas Tech loss in 2003, I bet I said “Eli could have walked in for the 2 pt. conversion, “ 100 times on the way home. The 2003 LSU game will always remain the hardest, however. I even painted my face that game. 5th grade me couldn’t comprehend that my hero, #10, would never play a home game again. You better believe I watched every last play of that Egg Bowl that year. I made my dad sit through a massive rain storm, all to see my hero play one last time.

Dad hasn’t been able to make many games since then. He was diagnosed with MS years ago, and he doesn’t get around as well anymore, so naturally he stopped going to games besides the baseball games where we get dropped off out front of the stadium and swiftly gets to his seat.

Anyway, this is a long way to say that, selfishly, I’m beyond excited to take dad to his first game at The Pavilion. I’m eager to share this experience him. Sorry for the long post. I’m just really looking forward to it.

Hotty Toddy

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News