ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf - Graphite vs Steel shafts?

Ghost of Colonel Reb

Four-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2017
The 'Sip
I’m considering switching to graphite shafts in my irons. I’m 42yo and in pretty good dad bod shape (6’ 165#) and as a former college athlete I’m fairly athletic but I’ve noticed something as gotten heavily back into playing this summer. My swing speed seems to be decreasing while my control is increasing but I’ve lost distance (average 7i down to ~145 from >160).

Switching to 3/4 Hybrids with graphite shafts has been one of the best decisions I’ve made as I strike the ball so much more cleanly and while only 1 degree difference between my 4H and 5i they’re ~20-25 yards apart and my ball flight with the Hybrids is so much better.

Also, I’ve been. Pricing more muscle fatigue and joint pain this summer from trying to swing the steel shafts harder. Just has got me thinking about whether I should switch 🤔

Golf Clubs (as of 7/3/23):

Driver - Gigagolf TRX 460 (10.5*) w/ UST HDX 70 Mid Graphite (R Flex)

Fairway Woods - Gigagolf TRX Powermax Slot 3 Wood (15 *) w/ UST HDX 70 Mid Graphite (R Flex)

Hybrids - Gigagolf TRX Powermax Slot 3H/4H (18*/22*) w/ UST HDX 80 Mid Graphite (R Flex)

Irons - Gigagolf TRX Powermax Slot 5-PW w/ True Temper FeatherFlight Steel (R Flex)
Wedges - Gigagolf TRX 6.0 Approach (52*) w/ True Temper FeatherFlight Steel (R Flex)

Putter - Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II w/Kingrasp Mid Slim 30 Grip

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News