ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Practice notes from Thursday's morning workout

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Here's the link to Neal's Wednesday's practice observations if you missed them:

Ole Miss was in shorts again on Thursday, practicing for around two hours or a touch more on the practice fields. There are rotations more than depth charts at most positions and nothing major seemed to change in that regard from Neal’s report yesterday.

It’s echoing him, but Ole Miss just has so many more options than isn most seasons I’ve covered the team, especially at defensive line, defensive back, running back and maybe wide receiver. There are receiving options, though guys have to step up. A bunch of decent football players won’t win games in this league. You need excellent players, and Jaylon Robinson looks like maybe that guy, but it’s been two days without pads. But I found myself watching him more than other receivers today.

Davison Igbinosun has been on campus since January, and he keeps turning heads. I asked several players what newcomers stood out, and each of them said the 6-foot-2 freshman corner without being prompted. His name is constantly attached to a superlative.

Deantre Prince: “Davison is a great guy, love him. That’s my little brother. Most definitely he’s going to be one of the best corners to ever come through Ole Miss. His technique (is what he does best) and he has a lot of knowledge for a guy who just came out of high school, just graduated high school. He just has his dog in him.”

Miles Battle: “He’s been good and impressed me a lot as a freshman. Some of the things he’s able to do, like today he caught a one-handed pick, and the confidence he has out there. That’s really impressive.”

AJ Finley: “Davison, man, he’s a really good one. Honestly he does everything well. He’s physical and is a good cover corner. There aren’t many things he can’t do.”

JJ Pegues: “He’s been a game changer out there. The way he goes about things and it’s all professional with him. I feel like with him taking things day by day and doing what he has to do, he’s going to show everyone how good he is.”

Speaking of Battle, he’s gained about 15 pounds since last season and kept his speed. He thinks he can be more physical off the snap and also in situations fighting for the ball. He’s matured into a more complete corner, and his ball skills are a huge strength.

Wide receivers dropped a good many passes early in Thursday’s practice and didn’t look sharp, but later on Malik Heath flashed a good bit including a great play on an underthrow from Jaxson Dart. He came back and went up and got the ball. Heath’s physicality is a welcome addition.

Robinson was really good in team drills, including a body-control catch on a deep ball from Luke Altmyer. He recognized the throw was a little short and high-pointed the ball before taking it into the end zone.

Jonathan Mingo, just like Neal said yesterday, looks really good out there. He outran everybody on a touchdown throw from Kinkead Dent and he’s physical and has all the tools. I don’t notice any issue with his foot, and for the most part, he caught the ball well on Thursday. He needs to be consistent with his hands, but so far so good from a health and looks standpoint.

AJ Finley had two interceptions including a one-handed grab in the end zone. He’s going to play in the NFL, and he’s a good leader. Finley has gotten better each year, and I think there’s another step for him this season. Buy the stock.

They are in shorts and no pads, so it’s impossible to get a read on either line and frankly the linebackers for the most part. It’s clear they are fine with playing one true linebacker and then experimenting with defensive backs and edge rushers in that other spot. If there are packages for those situations, it opens up options. Now, look, Ole Miss needs linebackers and there are expectations for several of them, but they are rightfully looking at a lot of options and combinations. There’s a ton of depth in the secondary and some good depth up front if you count the edge guys, so no reason not to see who can move around. I’m being careful because that ventures into schematics.

Speaking of defensive backs, I like Markevious Brown. I liked him last year as a true freshman despite him being in a non-contact jersey most of the time, and he’s still active and energetic and athletic. I find myself writing his name down a lot.

I know everyone wants to talk about quarterbacks, but I didn’t see anything that noteworthy today. Neither was bad or great. There were some underthrows and at least four passes were picked, and they also threw touchdowns and did nice jobs in the short and intermediate games. I thought Luke Altmyer did a nice job letting receivers make plays in the back half of practice, and Dart was good at finding holes in the short and intermediate and didn’t force much. Considering what they need to improve on, there were some good flashes, but one or the other didn’t do anything far better than the other. And Dent isn’t a bad quarterback. We don’t talk about him, and there’s no sense he’s in the competition really, but he gets reps and operates things.

Zach Evans, Ulysses Bentley and Quinshon Judkins are impressive, and you don’t need to know football to see that. I maintain the backfield is better this year than last year. I know Lane Kiffin sort of deflected that question yesterday, but the overall talent is more diverse.

KD Hill lowered his body fat percentage and is around 295 pounds. He’s happy with the offseason progress. He may can be more effective for more plays in a game and go side to side better. That’s good news for Ole Miss’ offense.

Ladarius Tennison impressed with his run stopping in the spring, and he moves around well. I don’t know what position is by his name in this scenario, but he could step up and fill in on the second level if needed.

I want to see the front seven when they put shoulder pads and full pads on. That remains my question on defense, but it's just impossible to know at this point. The same goes with the backup offensive linemen and who can emerge or fill in if there's an injury. There are parts of my questions about this team that can't be answered yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News