ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Quick hits from Kiffin's Sunday (audio only) press conference

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
— Really hard game to put together afterwards as a loss. If you think about it, what percentage of games do you trail until the last play of the game. We had the lead the whole time basically and let it slip away.

— Credit Nussmeier. Great plan to confuse him and that has to be one of the most miraculous, great plays by a player. On third-and-10, Perkins has him and he gets out of the grasp and throws across his body, makes an amazing, unbelievable play. Somehow he got away slightly and made that throw. That was a really significant play.

— Tough one to handle. Pass interference on Wells, can’t run through break when he’s grabbed. Those things happen.

— I know we have a really good team still. Just one play towards the end, then the storyline is how tough this team is. I realize that happens in this sport, but it’s why I don’t overreact. Team was motivated, kept the lead until the end. Wish team had played better, especially after Tre Harris got hurt. I wish we had adjusted better and made more plays on offense. Had ball three series up four points and got one field goal.

— Offense through SEC games has been “not very good.” Protection is shaky. May look different as they get some players back. With Tre out, offense has struggled. In second halves, have played to defense. Been more conservative, trying to win games.

— On NIL era/fans deserving explanation on playing time, etc.: “I don’t know that I’ve thought of that. That’s probably a good question. I’m not sure of that.”

— On hitting panic button: A lot had to happen to lose. Screwed up a bunch of stuff, left points out, handed them 3 at the end, etc. We still are going to win the game. Had the QB sacked to make it fourth-and-28. Not going to overreact and change how we run the program. Will look at some things on offense, which is what we’re supposed to do as coaches when a certain area is not performing as it’s supposed to.

— On Prieskorn usage: I wouldn’t have guessed this, that his numbers would be that low. Wright has played well, so they’ve shared time. He’s still played 335 snaps to Wright’s 247 (including special teams). I just think some of it is just unfortunate luck and an unfortunate combination of things.

— On bye week: Getting healthy is priority. Good timing from that standpoint. Would’ve been a great feeling going in to open date off win. Will look at all areas and even depth charts. That’s what you do on bye weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.