ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting nuggets - Dec. 6 UPDATED 4:36 p.m.

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Do me a favor and don't reply or comment in this thread. Make a new thread, and we'll answer what we can there. Thanks.

The weekend went well for Ole Miss, grabbing public commitments from three junior college defensive players, all of whom will sign in December and enroll in January. The commitments of safety Ivan Nicholas, linebacker Otha Foster and cornerback Wesley Pendleton bring Ole Miss' current public commitment number to 22. Some could count on the old number. Not sure how many. We'll find out.

Brooklyn (ASA College), N.Y., defensive tackle Gilbert Pena left early this morning for an official visit to Manhattan, Kansas. Pena will check out Kansas State the next 48 hours and Florida State is still trying to secure a visit for this weekend. Pena was tired and jet lagged when he returned to New York yesterday afternoon. With that fact and Manhattan, Kansas not exactly being a cultural mecca, I doubt the Wildcats make a major push. Neal is reporting -- according to a source close to Ole Miss -- that Pena gave a private commitment to the Rebels before leaving Oxford yesterday morning.

Coffeyville, Kansas defensive tackle Sylvester Williams flew back to Kansas yesterday around noon, and I caught up with him on the phone last night. Williams said he had a good time and all that, but he didn't sound like a guy that just left where he'll eventually go to school. He's visiting Oklahoma State this weekend, and I think the Cowboys or USC will ink the talented DT with a nice offer sheet. Georgia may also get a visit.

Neal talked to Anthony Denham and Eric McHenry. I'll let him update it when he gets in this thread.

We'll let you know what's up with Keith Lewis when we find out. He's not exactly a phone person. The word yesterday was that Ole Miss was encouraged by his visit, and things went as well as possible, but South Florida remains a significant threat, especially the Bulls' location.

As I wrote last week, Ole Miss offered Los Angeles Harbor safety Byron Moore. The former USC signee visited Tennessee this past weekend, and it looks like the Rebels didn't make his cut. He said his final group is Tennessee, Washington, Oregon State, LSU and Ohio State.

Ole Miss commits Aaron Morris (Alabama), Gerrod Holliman (West Virginia) and Andrew Johnson (West Virginia) went on some official visits to other schools, and the Rebels seem to have dodged anything devastating. Morris was pretty honest and straightforward in his interview with the Alabama site. He's still committed. He's going to check everything out. It's a responsible thing to do. Holliman and Johnson had a "Great time" at West Virginia this past weekend, according to Chris Nee. It was snowing and freezing cold. They are from Miami. Good for Ole Miss. Holliman said they are still committed to the Rebels.

Tobias Singleton took an official visit to UCLA. You can find the interview in yesterday's nugget thread. He had an awesome time at the Rose Bowl and on the beach and all that. No kidding, who wouldn't? I texted with him a little bit yesterday, and he said it was a lot of fun. Shocker. However, I talked to one of the writers at the UCLA Rivals site, and he said it was still UM-MSU out front and didn't think the Bruins were even close to in it, no matter what Singleton said. There is still a portion of people that think Singleton may end up out of state. I get the argument, but I'll believe it when I see it. In short, L.A. was great. Nothing has changed.

Just one note: Recruits saying they had a great time or fun on an official visit isn't news. It's only news if the recruit has a bad or so-so time. It's a new place, and the school puts their best face forward for 48 hours. This goes for players that visit Ole Miss or UM targets that visit elsewhere. Don't freak out or get overly excited about a prospect having a great time or good visit.
This post was edited on 12/6 8:33 AM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/6 8:56 AM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/6 9:53 AM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/6 10:23 AM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/6 11:59 AM by Neal McCready
This post was edited on 12/6 1:31 PM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/6 1:43 PM by Neal McCready
This post was edited on 12/6 2:38 PM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/6 4:39 PM by Neal McCready

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT