ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting nuggets - Weekend (Updated Sunday 7:21 p.m.)

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Jordan Batiste is no longer committed to Ole Miss and/or vice-versa, per Batiste. No shock here. As we told you, he was visiting La. Tech over the weekend. --Neal McCready

East Mississippi defensive end Denico Autry visited Miami this past weekend and has a top three of Alabama, MSU and Miami in no order. However, he'll visit Ole Miss next weekend and announce his decision on Dec. 21.

Saturday night

We got word tonight that Ole Miss has offered Ruston, La., CB Kentrell Brice. Dave Wommack called Brice to extend the offer, and there was contact between Gunter Brewer and the Bearcats' staff. That's interesting, in that it tells us Brewer is on the Rebels' staff _ albeit not officially _ as of today. Also, it tells us this staff understands it can recruit north Louisiana. Brice is also looking at La. Tech, Nebraska, Arkansas and others. --Neal McCready

Saturday morning

Word going around that East Mississippi Community College QB Bo Wallace is on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit. I've sent Bo a text to confirm but no response yet. Wallace guided EMCC to a JUCO national title throwing for 452 yards and 30-of-44 passing in the title game. For the season, Wallace threw for 4,475 yards and 53 touchdowns.

Wallace transfered to EMCC from Arkansas State after the Red Wolves redshirted him for 2010. He's originally from Pulaski, Tenn. I remember him coming to several Ole Miss campus during his initial recruitment.

It'll be interesting to see what Ole Miss does at the QB position. Anthony Alford and Jeremy Liggins are obvious targets, but it's still possible Alford could play baseball, and Liggins could wind up at another position before it's over. Hugh Freeze has talked to CJ Beathard, and early thoughts are that the QB's commitment will be honored.

Here's a story on Beathard and fellow Ole Miss commit I'tavius Mathers in the Tennessean. Mathers says he's still committed, but he'll be one to follow closely as this goes along. Other teams definitely aren't going to stop coming.

LSU head coach Les Miles used his one in-home visit with Liggins on Wednesday night. If you remember, Nick Saban used his one in-home with Channing Ward last week. My guess is those guys are trying to gauge interest because spots are scarce, and they can know how much energy to use on them between now and Signing Day.

Ole Miss defensive line coach Chris Kiffin visited UT wide receiver commit Keithon Redding this week. He's a guy Freeze's staff was recruiting at Arkansas State. Also, being from Georgia, it may be a clue that Kiffin plans to take that territory. However, that's just speculation on my part. It may just mean there's not a wide receivers coach yet, and someone has to do it.

Redding may be one Ole Miss could turn. A big reason he committed to the Vols was UT WR coach Charlie Baggett, but Baggett won't return to Knoxville next season.

Ole Miss assistant Dave Wommack is recruiting Pearl's DJ Thompson right now. They talked this past week, and Thompson says he'll visit Ole Miss, MSU, USM and maybe another school. See what happens at USM with coach Blake Anderson. Seems like Thompson and him are pretty close.
This post was edited on 12/10 9:12 PM by Neal McCready
This post was edited on 12/10 9:12 PM by Neal McCready
This post was edited on 12/11 11:01 AM by Chase Parham
This post was edited on 12/11 7:21 PM by Neal McCready
This post was edited on 12/11 7:22 PM by Neal McCready

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News