ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant Recommendation for Oxford

Aug 23, 2004
Hey Guys, a Gamecock here.....we will be heading your way in 2018 for our game with you guys. I will be coming with 3/4 couples (8 to 10 people total). We are all in our late 30s/early 40s. We are looking for a decent restaurant for our trip. Not a sports bar and not some place with fancy white tablecloths. Somewhere in between. A lot of us are foodies, thus we appreciate a good meal. Any thoughts? Cheers, Atlas

St. Leo is fantatsic-amazing food, great cocktails. It was nominated for a James Beard award last year. Snackbar is also really good, but not on the Square.

There are plenty of options, the Oxford tourism website has a filter to narrow down what you're looking for. If you'd like to venture out of Oxford, Como Steakhouse is a place I personally enjoy.

Hey Guys, a Gamecock here.....we will be heading your way in 2018 for our game with you guys. I will be coming with 3/4 couples (8 to 10 people total). We are all in our late 30s/early 40s. We are looking for a decent restaurant for our trip. Not a sports bar and not some place with fancy white tablecloths. Somewhere in between. A lot of us are foodies, thus we appreciate a good meal. Any thoughts? Cheers, Atlas

I'd recommend staying in Memphis if you're coming for a long weekend. Nicer hotels - Peabody, Madison, Westin, Sheraton. College towns jack up the rates for the handful of mediocre hotels on game weekends (think $250-300/night for a Hampton). There are a ton more dining and entertainment options for your age group in Memphis for a long weekend than Oxford. Oxford is only an hour drive from Memphis.

For really good restaurants that won't break the bank - Second Line, Hog and Hominy, Acre, are just a few. Overton Square area has numerous dining and entertainment options. Plus, there are several local breweries (Wiseacre, High Cotton, Memphis Made being my favorites) if that's your thing. Locals don't go to Beale Street. If you go, go during the day. Non Memphians will tell you there's a crime problem. Like any city with a +1,000,000 population, the crime is contained to certain parts of town. These are not parts of town you would ever be in when visiting.

You might try the Taylor Grocery esp if you like fried catfish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT