Second Team QB
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2012
Steve Robertson avatar
Steve RobertsonSTAFF
Posted on 4 hrs, V I P, User Since 266 months ago, User Post Count: 113553
  • 4 hrsVIP
  • 266 months

Mississippi State's search for a new football coach appears to be heating up. A long list of candidates has been whittled down. A source close to the search shared that a group of five or six finalists is being comprised now as the Bulldogs look to close out the search and name their new head coach in the coming days. With State playing football on Thursday and most candidates coaching this weekend, things are expected to be quiet for the next two to three days.
As shared last night, I have been told that Tulane head coach Willie Fritz and/or his representatives have had multiple conversations with Mississippi State officials or reps. I have learned that State's travel group includes Mississippi State AD Zac Selmon, Joey Bailey and Terry Prentice. While I have not confirmed the details of the meeting, I have been told that the trio has spoken directly with Fritz.
Fritz's situation with the Tulane administration is rather interesting. The Green Wave head coach personally endorsed Tulane interim AD Kortne Gosha, but Northern Iowa's former AD David Harris got the job. That news was announced just yesterday. The talk among coaching circles was that Tulane was having to act fast as they anticipate a coaching change. Fritz is expected to take another job and Mississippi State is one of those possibilities. As noted before, look for Fritz to be mentioned in connection with the Houston job once it opens.
I had several messages yesterday about NC State head coach Dave Doeren. My early thinking on this is that it is likely some agent positioning to get a better deal, but I am told that there has been some contact with Doeren about the Mississippi State job. Mississippi State officials heard from Doeren's agent back during the search when the Bulldogs hired Mike Leach. Doeren was rumored to be taking the Ole Miss job at the end of 2017 when Rebel officials elected to keep interim coach Matt Luke. I am still doing some digging on this, but have not uncovered much so far other than there has been some discussion about the Mississippi State opening.
Earlier today, I was told that there was some early feeling out discussions with Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell. In eight seasons, Campbell is just five games over .500. You may recall a couple of years ago, Campbell's name was mentioned in connection with every major opening out there. Based on what I am hearing, things have not developed between Campbell and State since some preliminary contact shortly after Arnett was terminated.
Troy head coach Jon Sumrall remains in the mix with Mississippi State. I have spoken to multiple people with connections with him who believe he would do a really good job at Mississippi State. He knows the league and recruiting footprint well. Some other schools have also inquired about him and the possibility of him taking their jobs. I understand that Sumrall had a face to face meeting with Bulldog officials just a few days ago. I have learned that his buyout is 1 million. He remains a serious candidate for the job.
Finally, I am told that UNLV head coach Barry Odom and/or his reps have had multiple conversations with Mississippi State officials. I have not confirmed it just yet, but I am hearing that Odom is expected to have a face to face meeting with the Bulldog contingent in the days ahead. I have had multiple parties share with me that Odom and some close to him have reached out to many in the Mississippi State circles to express his interest in the job. Odom's buyout runs at five million, which is not a sticking point.
More info as I get it...

Steve Robertson avatar
Steve RobertsonSTAFF
Posted on 92 mins, V I P, User Since 266 months ago, User Post Count: 113554
  • 92 minsVIP
  • 266 months
Told by multiple parties this evening that Texas State head coach GJ Kinne is not expected to be offered the job. I’ve learned that he had some contact with Mississippi State officials last week, but it was not in person.
He hasn’t had any contact this week with State. An in person meeting has not been scheduled. It appears State is targeting other candidates at this time.

• Haha
Reactions: semeca1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News