ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Saturday practice observations (8-14)

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Ole Miss put on full pads for the first time this season on Saturday, working for some 2 1/2 hours on a brutally hot day in north Mississippi. We did not talk to any coaches afterwards. Instead, we talked to OL Jeremy James, DB Jake Springer and WR Jonathan Mingo. So there are no updates on injuries and such. Ole Miss will scrimmage on Sunday inside Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. I don't know what the post-practice access will be, but hopefully, we'll be able to get some updates on guys.

-- WR John Rhys Plumlee and WR Bralon Brown did not practice Saturday. Brown is nursing a hamstring injury. Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin said Friday Plumlee's injury was minor.

-- Scouts from the New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks were spotted Saturday.

-- DE Sam Williams drew some early praise, stopping RB Jerrion Ealy deep in the offensive backfield on a running play. Williams and Demon Clowney are being counted on to provide some impact off the edge.

-- LB Jan Brown, OL Bryce Ramsey, RB Bobo Miller and WR Brandon Buckhaulter were hitting tires with sledgehammers. WR J.J. Henry was working on his conditioning and going over some moves on another field
while DL DeMarcus Smith was on a stationary bike. All of those guys, based on those actions, are still nursing injuries before they're cleared for all football drills.

-- Jonathan Mingo, Dannis Jackson, Jaylon Jones and Braylon Sanders were working at punt returner Saturday.

-- On Saturday, it looked like Ole Miss is going to utilize its strength and play a lot of defensive backs at times. Williams, Quentin Bivens and Tariqious Tisdale were running with the starting defensive line. Lakia Henry and Austin Keys were running with the 1s at linebacker, though Chance Campbell replaced Keys when Keys got a little banged up. Deane Leonard, Jaylon Jones and Miles Battle all worked with the 1s at cornerback while Otis Reese, Keidron Smith, A.J. Finley and Jake Springer (still in a black no-contact jersey) were working in with the 1s at safety.

-- Springer said after practice he is wearing the black jersey for "precautionary" reasons, adding it's "nothing to worry about."

-- There is a media policy about reporting injuries without talking to coaches, so I'll be specific and vague here at the same time. Center Orlando Umana appeared to get banged up during team drills. He was replaced at center by Ben Brown and did not return. Instead, Umana left the field under his own power with Ole Miss medical personnel. I'll ask about his status if he's not back on the field Sunday. The M-Club was allowed to observe practice from the top of the Pavilion parking deck Saturday, so I'm sure others noticed Umana leaving practice early. I can't unsee it, so I'll leave the "reporting" there.

-- At one point, Ole Miss' offensive line was Jeremy James, Reese McIntyre, Ben Brown, Caleb Warren and Tobias Braun. Obviously, that's not the starting unit, but it's emblematic of something James said after practice when he praised several younger players, including Braun, McIntyre and Cedric Melton, for stepping up their games during fall camp.

-- Ole Miss seemed to be emphasizing goal-line work at times Saturday. Late in Saturday's work, the Rebels repeatedly put the ball on the 1-yard line and both sides made plays. Matt Corral connected with Sanders for a touchdown. Snoop Conner scored a touchdown. Tisdale stopped Conner for a three-yard loss. Lakia Henry was flagged for pass interference on a pass intended for TE Damarcus Thomas. Isaiah Woullard was stopped for no gain. It was a physical session.

-- We saw some kicking Saturday. Caden Costa was 3-for-3 on field goals, including a 40-yarder. Land Gebhart missed a 45-yarder but made a 42-yarder. Cale Nation made his one attempt -- a 33-yarder.

More in a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News