ADVERTISEMENT

Screw Wiltfong

Daviskenn

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2005
Got this from the OU board.

Oklahoma is likely to close in on its choice to replace departed head football coach Lincoln Riley relatively soon. Steve Wiltfong, 247Sports' director of recruiting, believes that one coach provided "a perfect fit" for the Sooner program moving forward.

“Oklahoma’s gotta go get Lane Kiffin,” Wiltfong said, on the 247Sports Football Recruiting Podcast. “I think that’s a plug-and-play move right there. Lane Kiffin fits the style that Oklahoma’s been recruiting to for the most part. They’re making the move to the SEC, and I think Lane Kiffin, he once made a move from a program that people would have considered ‘destination’ and left. I think that if Oklahoma could get Lane Kiffin, and it’s the right marriage, maybe it’s a long one, too. So I would be excited about Lane Kiffin for Oklahoma and I think he’s a perfect fit for the Sooners.”

Told by host Blair Angulo that he likes chaos, Wiltfong doubled down on his Kiffin pick.

“I actually don’t because it adds more recruiting twists and turns, and I don’t like any of that,” Wilftong said. “But since we’re talking about it, I think Lane Kiffin would be great for Oklahoma and then I don’t know who I would put at Ole Miss. I mean Lane Kiffin’s perfect for Ole Miss, obviously. But I think he’d be awesome at Oklahoma.”

Kiffin's similarities from an offensive standpoint might be enough to tamp down the mass exodus occurring in Norman, with several key Sooner players — particularly offensive ones — already putting their names into the transfer portal. Those same players could still elect to return to Oklahoma, though it could depend on who the new coach is. Many see former Oklahoma defensive coordinator, and current Clemson defensive coordinator, Brent Venables as the favorite.

For now, legendary Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops has come out of coaching retirement to serve in an interim role as the Sooners prepare to play in a bowl game.

"First and foremost, I'm a program guy and whatever I can do to help OU and to support the players, of course I'm glad to do it" Stoops said in a statement released by OU athletics on Sunday evening. "I'll do everything I can to help them finish the season in a strong and successful way and I certainly look forward to that.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

"Lincoln did a great job in his five years as head coach here and I appreciate all he did for this program. I'll always appreciate the close friendship we've had and will continue to have. I wish the best for him, Caitlin and their family."

Reactions: Rebs515
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News