ADVERTISEMENT

So we plan to start a true freshman 3 star at LT next season?

Cross is a significantly quicker and more balanaced ath than Thomas.

Thomas outweighs him by a lot. They both need a year to RS. One to gain 20 pounds and one to lose 20 pounds.

I would think (and apparently so does Rivals) that Cross will still be quicker once their bodies change.

I still think Thomas will be a good guard for us. People are upset bc we slow played Cross in the Spring and Summer. State didn’t slow play him but it wasn’t due to evaluation. It was because their standards are lower than ours. The kid blew up and that happens. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have been on him harder or even seen something to suggest his improvent was coming. I mean we planned on signing 8 OL and let Etienne commit but not Cross.
This is an argument that has specifics so it’s fine.

Edit: there is a long list of logical arguments you can make to talk shit on the football program. This post is a prime example of a legitimate gripe while making at least one slightly nuanced concession. A few people could use this example well lol.

Reactions: fbelliott
No offense to you or anyone else, semeca, but this rationale, while not wrong, is an excuse used by teams that don't recruit well.
Ok. You can have your opinion. That's fine. I wasn't even speaking in terms of OM. Just in general. To eaches own how much people value the rankings. Its all good

Offensive Line talent evaluation is probably the only thing Luke does that you can’t attack lol. But hey man keep pushin’ your narrative.
The only narrative is stop pushing I would much rather have x lower player you land vs y 5 star player you do not land and then play z coach is a master at evaluation of talent. Keep pushing your narrative of excuse making.

Ok. You can have your opinion. That's fine. I wasn't even speaking in terms of OM. Just in general. To eaches own how much people value the rankings. Its all good
Again, I'm not singling you out. Just saying that in general as well. We just so happen to be on an Ole Miss board. Doubt folks would be freaking out about losing out on most of the top MS talent, or paying the money each year/month if the rankings weren't at the least close to accurate.

Reactions: semeca1
Just to be clear: I’m far from this being something to panic about.

I just don’t believe Broeker and Thomas are tackles. So we basically signed 5 Guards.
Based on what experience do you base your OL position evaluation.

That our LT in this class is a 3 star and states is a 5 star.

Well that is quite a bit different from your

So to be clear...Everything was fine when we signed a 4 star OT and State got a commitment from a long time 3 Star rising 4 Star...But as soon as Rivals people flips those rankings after signing day it is not fine? Doesn't make sense.

My advice...chill. We were consistent and beginning to end on Thomas as our guy. We took him early and stuck by him. They obviously think very highly of him. Despite what a web site says.

I'm ofcourse quick to criticize this class and have been pretty vocal about the misses and overall mehness of this class at positions of need.

That said. IMO Darius Thomas is a better Tackle prospect than Charles Cross.

Rivals has proven they bump ratings and decrease ratings partially based on who they are committed etc etc.

If Darius Thomas were uncommitted and looking around right now he wouldnt have lost that 4th star. Facts

Also they didnt slow play Charles Cross. Ole Miss was one of the first to recruit him as a Tackle (which Cross wasnt exactly open to at first when reading back) and everyone else was recruiting him as a DL

Reactions: closetfan
Based on what experience do you base your OL position evaluation.
Well I have eyes and he has a Hudl account.

I can link two videos of a guy with FCS offers blowing past him if you’d like?

Well that is quite a bit different from your

So to be clear...Everything was fine when we signed a 4 star OT and State got a commitment from a long time 3 Star rising 4 Star...But as soon as Rivals people flips those rankings after signing day it is not fine? Doesn't make sense.

My advice...chill. We were consistent and beginning to end on Thomas as our guy. We took him early and stuck by him. They obviously think very highly of him. Despite what a web site says.

No, it’s not that different. And to be clear, no it wasn’t fine. Russell has said since Cross was a 3 star that he was the best OL in the state and we never went hard after him. But to many on here that was “okay” bc we had a top 4 star from ARK. Well, a San If today that’s no longer the case. Once again, I guess facts are stupid?

Yeah I agree, facts are stupid.
giphy.gif

No, it’s not that different. And to be clear, no it wasn’t fine. Russell has said since Cross was a 3 star that he was the best OL in the state and we never went hard after him. But to many on here that was “okay” bc we had a top 4 star from ARK. Well, a San If today that’s no longer the case. Once again, I guess facts are stupid?

Ok Cool

Hook em

Those aren't facts...You are literally picking which opinion you value more.

Your answer BTW is Rivals > Luke/Bicknell.

That is the root of your posts. And honestly it is a you problem.

Ok Cool

Hook em

Those aren't facts...You are literally picking which opinion you value more.

Your answer BTW is Rivals > Luke/Bicknell.

That is the root of your posts. And honestly it is a you problem.

Only you could spin state signing a 5 star/us signing a 3 star into a me problem

Reactions: ebarber
I do want to point out we made it pretty clear who we wanted between Cross, Broeker, James, and Thomas in the first week of December. Cross was the number one target. Just because he wasn’t in April doesn’t mean that on signing day he wasn’t the number 1 LT on the board.

Again, a lot of things factor in besides talent but it’s not fair to say “Bicknell chose Thomas over Cross”. He did 6 months earlier but that did change.

Why didn’t you have a problem last week when they were both four stars and still exactly the same players they are today?

I don’t know about you but I don’t study film and 18 year old kids for a living. So all I am left with is listening to the opinions of those who do. Now if you seem to think you know better than them then by all means that’s your opinion. There’s a reason one gained a star and the other lost one, they didn’t just flip a coin. Only on this site are people okay with taking a 3 star over a 5 star.

I don’t know about you but I don’t study film and 18 year old kids for a living. So all I am left with is listening to the opinions of those who do. Now if you seem to think you know better than them then by all means that’s your opinion. There’s a reason one gained a star and the other lost one, they didn’t just flip a coin. Only on this site are people okay with taking a 3 star over a 5 star.
So you’re going to let woody and chad be the masters of your mental well being? Of course I study their film.

Yea The one place I'm not worried about evaluating talent is OL with Bicknell and Luke. We signed a lot of them, missed on 1 we wanted. We were able to keep two guys late that blew up. I think we are ok

So you’re going to let woody and chad be the masters of your mental well being? Of course I study their film.

My well-being. Lol. I’m just fine buddy, I’d be more concerned about myself if I was rushing to a thread to defend an out of state 3 star over an in state 5 star.

Yea The one place I'm not worried about evaluating talent is OL with Bicknell and Luke. We signed a lot of them, missed on 1 we wanted. We were able to keep two guys late that blew up. I think we are ok
This is the big thing. We’ve got multiple tackles in this class that are going to be good players.

Reactions: M.O.B. Rebel
My well-being. Lol. I’m just fine buddy, I’d be more concerned about myself if I was rushing to a thread to defend an out of state 3 star over an in state 5 star.
Our line class is good, buddy. Take a breath. Cross doesn’t play for us. He is not my concern.

Reactions: M.O.B. Rebel
I have agreed with your overall point in this thread. My only point of contention with you was when you stated that Thomas was penciled in to start as a Freshman at LT. I don't think that was ever really the plan the way it was with Tunsil and Little.

I understand that. That was the narrative for a long time regarding DT on this board. I missed where that changed. Would have been nice to continue our recent run of sending a 5 star LT to the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT